"Rigolet is nestled in Hamilton Inlet" Rigolet by crummey
Rigolet Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 72 photos
Rigolet was origonally named Aiviktok, which is Inuit for Baby Walrus Bay.
The Grand Village of began as a Canadian fur trading post in 1743. The traders were Quebecois.
The place name Rigolet is derived from a French word meaning inlet, and the town comes by its name honestly enough:
Firstly, Rigolet is nestled in Hamilton Inlet, and overlooks the waterway leading to Goose Bay.
Secondly, other large inlets like The Backway and Double Mer are nearby.
In the mid-1800's the HBC purchased the trading post. They installed five cannons and altered its name to Fort Rigolette. The HBC has long since cleared out, but some of the original buildings can still be seem.
During the Second World War the Canadian Army dosted troops at Rigolet and established a gun battery there to protect Goose Bay from a surprise attack by nazi U-Boats . A couple of guns still remain.
Rigolet is situated in the Territory of Nunatsiavut. It can be accessed by airplane year round. There is a summer ferry that runs from June til October. In the wintertime there are skidoo trails that lead to Goose Bay.
- Pros:Rigolet is everything good.
crummey's Related Pages
Rigolet Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Rigolet
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Rigolet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rigolet
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.