"Torbay was originally called Thorn Bay" Torbay by crummey
Torbay Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 28 photos
Its commonly-held that Torday Newfoundland is named for Torbay Devon. However, Torbay was origionally called Thorn Bay.
The place is a good spot foe icegerg watching.
If you want to go for a scenic walk, there is a cart path leading from Torbay to Gallows Cove.
Torbay Bight faces the icy North Atlantic.
The inlet has long-served as a residence of West Country fisherman and a refuge of English pirates.
Its most famous pirate was John Nutt who used it as a hideout from 1620-1623.
The place has a rich folklore. If you ask around I'm sure you'' hear lots of stories about ghosts, sprites, pirates and pixies.
In 1696, the Quebec folkhero Pierre le Moine D'Iberville, invaded Newfoundland intent on expelling its residents.
Chevalier D'Iberville pillaged the northeast coast and sent an Abenaque was party to burn Torbay.
- Pros:A beautiful fishing community close to St. John's
- In a nutshell:Beautiful, green grass contrasts nicely with the blue sea..
crummey's Related Pages
Torbay Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Torbay
- 1 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Torbay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torbay
Photos in TorbaySee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.