"Tors Cove" Tors Cove by crummey
Tors Cove Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 23 photos
Tors Cove was originally a Portuguese whaling station.
The Portuguese were displaced in 1580's by English cod fishermen.
A small fishing village developed at the site. The settlement is mentioned in the 1676 Newfoundland Census.
The residents was subject to Flemish, French and Dutch pirate raids.
The village was erradicated in 1696 when Chevalier D'Iberville arived with a French & Indian army to destroy them.
The Portuguese were the first Europeans to exploit the rich fishing grounds off Tors Cove.
Spear Island at Tors Cove is the site of an ancient Portuguese whaling factory. Today, farmers use it as pastureland for sheep.
crummey's Related Pages
Tors Cove Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tors Cove
- 0 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Tors Cove?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tors Cove
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.