"Trepassey Harbour, Newfoundland" Trepassey by crummey
Trepassey Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 13 photos
Trepassey is an old community. the inlet was originally settled by Welsh colonists in 1621. In 1628, was being run by an Englishman John Poyntz. There has been a small but continuous settlement there eversince.
In the 1660s and 1670s, Trepassedy Harbour was raided by Dutch pirates.
In 1696, the fishing village was destroyed and its villagers expelled by a corsair named Commodore du Docher of St. Malo France.
In 1720, Bartholamew Roberts - Black Bart- visited the community to recruit pirates and refit his ship. In 1722, the English Fishinbg Admirals of Trepassey accosted a French merchant ship, which sought refuge from a squall.
Near the mouth of Trepassey Harbour is where Black Bart siezed a French ship which became his flag-ship, the Royal Fortune.
- Pros:great people
- Cons:it breaks your heart to leave
- In a nutshell:if you are anywhere within 50 miles of the place you should drop by just to check it out
crummey's Related Pages
Trepassey Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trepassey
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Trepassey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trepassey
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.