"Girl in the Great Big World" Camille_W's Profile
Two years ago I found myself on a road I hadn't chosen. It wasn't a bad road, at least it didn't seem to be, but it wasn't my road. It was someone else's road and someone else's journey.
What I saw in my own future was a life spent watching while someone else drove. I saw myself looking at the roads not taken and I knew that if I couldn't explore those roads I'd always wonder what I missed.
I had to choose my own road. I couldn't be passenger on someone else's journey.
Welcome to my journey.
I was born and raised in Seattle, and no matter how many years I've lived away from this remarkable city I still call it home. My friends and family live here. It is where my first steps in to the great big world were made. It is where I hope my final steps on this earth are taken.
I am marked by this city. I love rain, I love coffee, I love tree-covered granite headlands that plunge into murky green waters. I love the look of lights reflected on wet pavement, and I love clear January mornings when the mountains parade their brand new coats of fresh snow.
I went to Berkeley from 1996 until 2000. I loved the Bay Area, with the cool air and the constantly changing weather. There were times I'd ride my bike up into the hills and watch the fog banks roll through the Golden Gate and wrap themselves around the city. On Easter Sundays I'd sit in the Greek Theater and listen to the bells from the Campanile drift across the campus.
I fell in love at Berkeley, or so I thought. After graduation I followed him to Southern California. I loved living near the beach. I loved being able to walk out out front door and within ten minutes feel warm sand between my toes.
But I felt restless. There was more I wanted to learn, but his dreams were different than mine. Leaving him was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but staying with him would have cost me my soul.
I now live in Kansas City, Missouri, where I am a graduate student at the University of Missouri - Kansas City. This city surprised me with it's beautiful neighborhoods, great shopping and vibrant community of writers and poets. I grew up among mountains and forests and the sea, but this Missouri landscape has surprised me with it's gentle dignity.
For the first time, I feel like this is my world and my life that I am living. I face the future with some trepidation, but I know it is my future and my journey.
Personal Pages (2)
Written Apr 15, 2003
Facing West from California's Shores
Written Apr 16, 2003
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 22 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 1 Countries
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Camille_W and Carmanah are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Where are 'Vikings' from ?"
updated their Profile Page "Girl in the Great Big World"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great views of the harbor and Catalina"
- created a San Pedro Travel Page "Great views of the harbor and Catalina"
- Wrote a Review Shop or just wander around about On the Plaza in Kansas City Shopping
- Commented on Laura_Mexico's profile page
Top 5 Pages
- Kansas City Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Olympic National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Huntington Beach Intro, 3 photos
- Newport 1 review, 1 photo
- Paris Hotels
- 22499 Reviews - 55073 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3100 Reviews - 5884 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos