"Girl in the Great Big World" Camille_W's Profile

Welcome to My Journey!

Two years ago I found myself on a road I hadn't chosen. It wasn't a bad road, at least it didn't seem to be, but it wasn't my road. It was someone else's road and someone else's journey.

What I saw in my own future was a life spent watching while someone else drove. I saw myself looking at the roads not taken and I knew that if I couldn't explore those roads I'd always wonder what I missed.

I had to choose my own road. I couldn't be passenger on someone else's journey.

Welcome to my journey.

The place I call home

I was born and raised in Seattle, and no matter how many years I've lived away from this remarkable city I still call it home. My friends and family live here. It is where my first steps in to the great big world were made. It is where I hope my final steps on this earth are taken.

I am marked by this city. I love rain, I love coffee, I love tree-covered granite headlands that plunge into murky green waters. I love the look of lights reflected on wet pavement, and I love clear January mornings when the mountains parade their brand new coats of fresh snow.

But I needed to see more of the world...

I went to Berkeley from 1996 until 2000. I loved the Bay Area, with the cool air and the constantly changing weather. There were times I'd ride my bike up into the hills and watch the fog banks roll through the Golden Gate and wrap themselves around the city. On Easter Sundays I'd sit in the Greek Theater and listen to the bells from the Campanile drift across the campus.

Lost in the land of dreams come true

I fell in love at Berkeley, or so I thought. After graduation I followed him to Southern California. I loved living near the beach. I loved being able to walk out out front door and within ten minutes feel warm sand between my toes.

But I felt restless. There was more I wanted to learn, but his dreams were different than mine. Leaving him was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but staying with him would have cost me my soul.

How the heck did I wind up here?

I now live in Kansas City, Missouri, where I am a graduate student at the University of Missouri - Kansas City. This city surprised me with it's beautiful neighborhoods, great shopping and vibrant community of writers and poets. I grew up among mountains and forests and the sea, but this Missouri landscape has surprised me with it's gentle dignity.

For the first time, I feel like this is my world and my life that I am living. I face the future with some trepidation, but I know it is my future and my journey.

• Intro Updated Apr 17, 2003

• AmazingAdventures's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 5:34 PM

G'Day Camille !! Wishing you a super great Happy Birthday. May all your dreams become reality. Smiles from the land down under, the land of wonder... Australia :)

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Happy Birthday from a fellow KC metro inhabitant! I'm pleased that you came to our area of the country with open mind and open eyes, and hope you enjoy your stay among us.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Happy birthday from Istanbul . I wish that you realize all your dreams ...

• mturkkan's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 7:33 AM

Happy Birthday to you.

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 10:23 PM

♫•:*¨`*:•Happy birthday to you♫♫Happy b-day to you♫HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ღCAMILLEღ ♫♫Happy b-day to yoou•:*¨`*:•♫ I wish you not only a happy year, but also happier maany returns (~_~)

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Camille,Happy Birthday to you.:-)

• Relaxbro's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 3:00 AM

Hi Camille, excellent intro, very intriguing. Can't venture much into your homepage yet as the laptop's battery is running low. Will visit your homepage again, I promise. I'm now in Seattle, enjoying every moment of it. Take care & best wishes :) -Safri

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2005 at 2:31 PM

Not had a look at your travel pages yet but you have an excellent, personal home page -- all the best on this, your own, journey -- greetings from England.

• nikaloo35's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2005 at 6:27 AM

Happy Birthday pretty Camille Long life filled with all the trips you dream of....

• Apr 4, 2005 at 8:46 PM

Happy Birthday Camille! You have a beautful hp here. Hope u have a terrific day :-) Greetings from down under...Australia

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!