"St Thomas, US Virgin Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination U. S. Virgin Islands by Sophie1980
U. S. Virgin Islands Travel Guide: 1,258 reviews and 3,231 photos
Have been living here in St Thomas for almost 2 months now and throughly enjoying it. With the throngs of tourists that visit everyday via the cruise ships, you get to see new faces taking tours around the island. The mossies attacked me during my first week, but now that I'm more of a local, they're leaving me alone. I took my first safari taxi today, an open taxi that can take about 15 passengers that has a canopy as a roof. Hard to explain, so will try and add picture. Quite hair raising going round the tight corners that are abundant on the island, and expensive ($5 one way but only because I haggled with the driver), but fun nonetheless and a must if you want to see the whole island but are not renting a car or are pressed for time. Had a look around the shops in Charlotte Amalie, the main town here, and they have the usual tourist offerings - t-shirts, jewellery, local crafts, foods, and of course alcohol, this being the Caribbean. As far as food goes, I didn't eat here, but spotted a Hard Rock and a Pizza hut, which I was told to avoid unless I wanted a 2 hour wait. There's a decent restaurant close to where I'm staying called 'Sib's on the Mountain Top' (indeed on a mountain top), from which I had take-out and enjoyed a Greek Salad.
This is the view from where Im staying in St Thomas. In the background you can see Charlotte Amalie.
Went to St John via boat from Red Hook today (21st March 2003). I went with a car, but you can go as a foot passenger too, and it's considerably cheaper ($3 per person, vs $35 per car). The journey took 20 minutes with fantastic views fo both St Thomas and St John all the way. The boat arrived in Cruz Bay, which is where the boat docks and where the vast majority of activity seemed to be, with shops, restaurants and bars all geared towards tourists. It reminded me a lot of Key West, with its narrow streets shaded by trees. In the afternoon we went to Trunk Beach, which, being owned by the government, had a $4 entry charge. What a fantastic beach, with clean water and sand, and excellent facilities. Brilliant views of Jost Van Dyke, a British Virgin Island.
- Pros:Fantastic weather if you're a sun seeker, excellent beaches
- Cons:Expensive, a bit in-accessible if you're a non-driver, although there are taxis.
- In a nutshell:Great for a week or 2 vacation if all you're looking for is great beaches and weather.
A taste of America. I went in once and the women's section was tiny as was the kids section. The men's department on the... more travel advice
Sophie1980's Related Pages
U. S. Virgin Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to the Three Virgins"
- "St Thomas, US Virgin Islands"
- "My vacation in St Thomas, St Croix, St John"
- "zChris' Virgin Islands"
- "St. Croix and St. Thomas"
- "Week in St. John & St. Thomas"
- "Three Years In St Thomas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in U. S. Virgin Islands
- Hotels in U. S. Virgin Islands
- Transportation in U. S. Virgin Islands
- Nightlife in U. S. Virgin Islands
- Restaurants in U. S. Virgin Islands
- Shopping in U. S. Virgin Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in U. S. Virgin Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in U. S. Virgin Islands
- 26 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to U. S. Virgin Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in U. S. Virgin Islands
Photos in U. S. Virgin IslandsSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination U. S. Virgin Islands Intro, 26 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oceanside Intro, 1 review, 29 photos, 5 travelogues
- Shreveport Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sharjah Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos