"Saudi Arabia" Saudi Arabia by Canadienne

Saudi Arabia Travel Guide: 2,806 reviews and 6,467 photos

Jeddah 1986 ~ 1988

I moved with my parents to Jeddah in 1986. My father was working in telecommunications and had transferred with his company. We lived there through 1988, when the company's contract ended.

I was in late grade school and early high school, so my memories are not as clear as my parents' would be ~ but I thought I'd post up some photos and information. . .

Life for ex-pats in Saudi is quite different than it is in other countries ~ my father had several opportunities to interact with their culture, through workplace invitations and contacts. However, non-Saudi women don't have these chances ~ life consists of the compound, school, shopping and weekend excursions with family and friends (other ex-pats).

I fully enjoyed living in Jeddah ~ I loved my school and the friends I made. I had a short-lived period at a British School, then spent the remainder of my time at the Parents' Cooperative School (PCS), which was American-run. We had the opportunity to travel in Jeddah, Riyadh and to Najran. . .and they are places I consider myself lucky to have experienced.

My parents also enjoyed their time ~ enough to return to work in Saudi again several years later.

Riyadh 1994 ~ Present

As indicated above, my parents returned to Saudi Arabia after a few years back in Canada. This time, my father was on a contract with another telecommunications company ~ eventually, he ended up working directly for Saudi Telecom.

Their return trip took them to Riyadh, the capital of the country. Some of the later photos I'll post are from their current posting there.

• Last visit to Saudi Arabia: Jun 1988
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2003

• RoshanGoonewardene's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Thanks to BellCanada/STC I had a full of life to live in happily in KSA Riyadh.Their departure Resulted Telstra of Australian to come and work where I still continued till 1994
    My next trip back to Saudi was in the period 2007/2009 where I worked with HTC a contractor for STC where I was privileged to travel whole of Kingdom covering many STC sites inclusive of my old work places in Riyadh and other sites.Can this page of Canadienne give us a contact point to meet all who worked with STC? I am sure if this can extended you will get many of our old snaps taken in KSA. Roshan roshan@trc.gov.lk

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Manyanas comment is funny, you wont recogonize them cause you wont see them ;)

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2006 at 10:57 AM

Nicely done reminiscing. An interesting spot to visit. Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• Dec 4, 2005 at 4:21 AM

Salaam Stevie, Saudi Arabia has enormously changed since 80s. Pay it another visit and you will never recognize women. Enjoyed your page, salaam from Jeddah, a:^)

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2005 at 10:17 AM

Just returned from Dubai, what a difference to Saudi ! , still its sounds a fasinating place thanks for sharing your experiences with us

• Sep 16, 2005 at 11:33 PM

I was at PCS in Jeddah from 1986 to 1989. It was one of the most influential times of my life. My dad was also in telecom. I would love to go back, especialy for the Scuba diving in the Red Sea. spams@sympatico.ca.

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2005 at 5:43 AM

Very nice page. You have travelled a lot, lucky you! Greetings from Poland.

• sydmar's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2005 at 1:21 PM

Assalam Alaikum! I too spent more than 16 years as an expat-brat in Jeddah, also from PCS. Of course my camera back then was used mostly for taking pictures of friends rather than sites; I wish I had a better collection now! Great photos you have here!

• Feb 26, 2005 at 7:58 AM

cool page! Saudi is a very interesting place to live.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2004 at 4:08 AM

Another great page. I'm leaving Saudi Arabia in January. It's been different.

Badges & Stats in Saudi Arabia

Have you been to Saudi Arabia?

Latest Activity in Saudi Arabia