"Saudi Arabia" Saudi Arabia by Canadienne
Saudi Arabia Travel Guide: 2,761 reviews and 6,388 photos
I moved with my parents to Jeddah in 1986. My father was working in telecommunications and had transferred with his company. We lived there through 1988, when the company's contract ended.
I was in late grade school and early high school, so my memories are not as clear as my parents' would be ~ but I thought I'd post up some photos and information. . .
Life for ex-pats in Saudi is quite different than it is in other countries ~ my father had several opportunities to interact with their culture, through workplace invitations and contacts. However, non-Saudi women don't have these chances ~ life consists of the compound, school, shopping and weekend excursions with family and friends (other ex-pats).
I fully enjoyed living in Jeddah ~ I loved my school and the friends I made. I had a short-lived period at a British School, then spent the remainder of my time at the Parents' Cooperative School (PCS), which was American-run. We had the opportunity to travel in Jeddah, Riyadh and to Najran. . .and they are places I consider myself lucky to have experienced.
My parents also enjoyed their time ~ enough to return to work in Saudi again several years later.
As indicated above, my parents returned to Saudi Arabia after a few years back in Canada. This time, my father was on a contract with another telecommunications company ~ eventually, he ended up working directly for Saudi Telecom.
Their return trip took them to Riyadh, the capital of the country. Some of the later photos I'll post are from their current posting there.
Company compounds make great efforts to provide living accomodation that is similar to what their employees would have... more travel advice
The exteriour of this building is a good representation of how modern Riyadh has become. . .a lot of pride is taken in... more travel advice
Canadienne's Related Pages
Saudi Arabia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "1001 Arabian Nights ...."
- "Saudia: my perplexed obession"
- "Al-Mamlaka al-Arabiya as-Saudiya"
- "Home is where the heart is"
- " Sand, Souks, and Saudia"
- "redeagle's new Saudi Arabia Page"
- "welcome to Saudi Arabia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saudi Arabia
- Hotels in Saudi Arabia
- Transportation in Saudi Arabia
- Nightlife in Saudi Arabia
- Restaurants in Saudi Arabia
- Shopping in Saudi Arabia
- Warnings and Dangers in Saudi Arabia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saudi Arabia
- 13 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Saudi Arabia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saudi Arabia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue