Moscow Warnings Or Dangers Tips by Canadienne Top 5 Page for this destination
Moscow Warnings and Dangers: 164 reviews and 105 photos
Can you find your destination?
This sign is my best example of how learning Cyrillic comes in handy, even in a major city like Moscow.
You may be able to get by in the metro by counting the number of stops, but if you're looking for another line, or a specific exit to a street, hotel or square, nothing beats being able to make headway with a sign like this one. Keep in mind, a single station can change names up to three times, depending on the level in which you are standing (Okhotnyy Ryad, Teatralnaya and Ploshchad Revolutssii for example).
It's not difficult to learn. . .I did it during my lunch breaks at work, using website below. It took about three weeks to master the Cyrillic, and a bit of extra work to pick up a couple dozen spoken phrases. . .that also helped pave the way with locals.
The Patron Saint of Moscow
Much moreso than in St. Petersburg, we saw beggars in Moscow. Coming from Toronto, where the downtown core has a league of squee-gee kids, it didn't seem overwhelming, however, the demographics are different. . .we weren't used to seeing elderly women begging.
As is always the case, it helps to be prepared mentally as to how you want to handle this situation. You might decide to give your change whenever you have any, or to make a larger donation to an agency ~ some peace of mind can be had from thinking this through ahead of time.
Bolshoi Pick-up Office
Booking Bolshoi tickets online (website below) is easy ~ it's the pick-up process that needs some improvement.
What the ticket receipt does not state, nor could anyone working at the theatre tell me, is that the pick-up window is not at the theatre itself. I inquired with the ticket office, the on-site manager, a security guard. . .no one was able to direct me to the right spot. I was directed to the "Metro Kassa," which I understood to mean a ticket office in the metro station. I quickly realized I had misunderstood, asked a newsstand woman (in Russian) for help, and was led outside again, around the corner and to the building I needed (pictured here for your reference). :-)
We just barely made it to our seats in time. Warning: go early. No matter how easy you think it will be, go early.
Undergound Crossing, Moscow
The traffic in Moscow is probably the biggest danger you'll face, whether in a car or on foot. Even if you spot the natives attempting to cross a road without a light, you're better off waiting until you find a proper crossing or an underground passageway. Those people risking the danger are far more familiar with the traffic at this location than you are. Better safe than sorry!
More Reviews (111)
- See All Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius
- See All Public Spaces
- See All Manezhnaya Ploshchad
- See All Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- See All Russian Dolls
Canadienne's Related Pages
Moscow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Moscow..."
- "Memories of Moscow"
- "Mother Russia"
- "Moscow is my Universe"
- "Marvellous Moscow"
- "Moscow - Thrilling capital of Russia"
- "MOSCOW !!! MOCKBA !!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moscow
- Hotels in Moscow
- Transportation in Moscow
- Nightlife in Moscow
- Restaurants in Moscow
- Shopping in Moscow
- Warnings and Dangers in Moscow
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kalihi Hotels
- Matraman Hotels
- Zakarpats'ka Oblast'
- Newark Hotels
- Bien Unido Hotels
- Isla Mujeres Warnings and Dangers
- Canary Islands Warnings and Dangers
- Brugge Warnings and Dangers
- Tulsa Warnings and Dangers
- Bali Warnings and Dangers
- New Caledonia Warnings and Dangers
- Vientiane Warnings and Dangers
- Lauterbrunnen Warnings and Dangers
- Lusaka Warnings and Dangers
- Indonesia Warnings and Dangers
- Cagayan de Oro City Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Moscow
- 115 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Moscow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moscow
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: Reasons to love India"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Architecture ~ Polytechnical Museum"
- updated a Moscow Travel Page "Memories of Moscow"
- Wrote a Review Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius about Outside Moscow in Moscow Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Canadienne's Moscow travel pages
Photos in MoscowSee All Photos (142)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Latest Moscow hotel reviews
- Savoy Moscow Hotel
- 181 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott Moscow City Center
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Le Royal Meridian National Hotel
- 339 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Golden Ring
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 27, 2013
- Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Izmailovo Complex Gamma-Delta Moscow
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Sherston Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2013
- Hotel Milan Moscow
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Marriott Moscow Grand Hotel
- 316 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Golden Apple Boutique Hotel
- 402 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Home from Home Hostel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2012
- Ararat Park Hyatt
- 206 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Maxima Irbis
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Kremlin- 229 Reviews, 381 Photos
- Red Square- 121 Reviews, 194 Photos
- KGB Headquarters Lubyanka- 29 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Red Square - Saint Basil Cathedral- 64 Reviews, 130 Photos
- Tverskaya Street- 34 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Bolshoi Theatre- 42 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Red Square - G.U.M. - Gosudarstevemy Universahy Magazin- 34 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Arbat Street- 39 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Vorobievy Hills- 41 Reviews, 46 Photos
- Red Square - Lenin Mausoleum- 40 Reviews, 58 Photos
See All Moscow Things to Do