Moscow Favorite Tips by Canadienne Top 5 Page for this destination
Moscow Favorites: 312 reviews and 383 photos
Favorite thing: A stunning example of Russian Revivalist architecture, the Polytechnical Museum was built in 1877.
Although the museum is open (displays on science and technology), we didn't enter. We were far more interested in admiring the exterior decoration.
Fondest memory: The variety of architecture in Moscow ~ old and new ~ was fascinating. Add good weather and good walking shoes to this. . .suddenly you have the prime ingredients of my ideal vacation (and my mom's, too).
Please see my Architectural Treasures travelogue, for some photos of buildings (other than the ones in the tips) that caught our attention.
Central Telegraph Office (1927) & Temperature
Favorite thing: Weather is such a fickle, unpredictable thing. . .and yet, having good weather can raise a setting to new heights. Our visit to Moscow in mid- to late-May was perfectly timed. . .the weather was gorgeous (22-26 every day), the flowers were in bloom, and all the locals were out enjoying the start of summer.
Fondest memory: A number of our fondest memories of Moscow centre around the parks, squares and gatherings of people. There was a light and friendly atmosphere. . perhaps partly the result of coming out of a long winter.
Favorite thing: The dome pictured here, found in front of the Hotel Moskva, caps a piece of ceiling art found in the Okhotnyy Ryad mall (three levels underground).
If you do go inside the mall for a peek, which I recommend doing, at least briefly, for the mall's luxurious decor, be sure to take a look upwards at the stained-glass map of the world.
Fondest memory: It was nice to have this gathering spot so close to our hotel. We sat here a few times in the morning, to check our map and plan our next move. The opportunities for people-watching were excellent and we also made sure to take advantage of that.
Favorite thing: The present form of this square, in front of the Bolshoi Theatre, took shape in the 1820s. It originally served as a military parade ground.
Although the Bolshoi is the best-known of its theatres, the square is also bordered by the Malyy (Small) Theatre and the Russian Academic Youth Theatre to the west. The Operetta Theatre is also nearby.
Fondest memory: Teatralnaya Ploshchad was yet another of the lovely public spaces that we came to adore. We enjoyed taking a couple of breaks here, with ice cream or a pop, during our lengthy walks.
Alexander Gardens & Kremlin Wall
Favorite thing: This view of Alexander Gardens and its bordering Kremlin Wall also gives a peek at a section called the grotto, which was added as a decorative touch in 1821. The Obelisk to the right of the grotto was erected in 1913, to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty.
In 1918, Lenin "updated" the obelisk by erasing the coats of arms and tsars' names, then replacing them with the Soviet hammer and sickle, as well as the names of socialist thinkers and revolutionaries.
Fondest memory: What we loved most about this area was how pretty and green it was ~ filled with locals and tourists alike. It was certainly a contrast to the dark & dreary image of the Kremlin that my mother held in mind.
Favorite thing: The building at the end of this square is the Manege, the namesake of the square itself. It was built in 1817 for the Tsar's riding school. The design was very unusual as it did not include any internal columns to support the roof of wooden beams, just the four walls. After the 1917 Revolution, it was used as the Kremlin garage.
Fondest memory: The Manege is found at the southern end of the Manezhnaya Ploshchad, capping off the social area of the square. This area was busy with people throughout the day and night. It always felt safe, lively and friendly. We spent our final hour of a few nights seated on a nearby patio, or on the steps here, just people watching and enjoying the incredible early Spring.
More Reviews (109)
- See All Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius
- See All Public Spaces
- See All Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- See All Russian Dolls
- See All I Scream, You Scream. . .
Canadienne's Related Pages
Moscow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Moscow..."
- "Memories of Moscow"
- "Mother Russia"
- "Moscow is my Universe"
- "Marvellous Moscow"
- "Moscow - Thrilling capital of Russia"
- "MOSCOW !!! MOCKBA !!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moscow
- Hotels in Moscow
- Transportation in Moscow
- Nightlife in Moscow
- Restaurants in Moscow
- Shopping in Moscow
- Warnings and Dangers in Moscow
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saba Hotels
- Wheat Ridge Hotels
- Vlaardingen Hotels
- Beruas Hotels
- Provincia de Tucumán
Badges & Stats in Moscow
- 115 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Moscow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moscow
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: Reasons to love India"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Architecture ~ Polytechnical Museum"
- updated a Moscow Travel Page "Memories of Moscow"
- Wrote a Review Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius about Outside Moscow in Moscow Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Canadienne's Moscow travel pages
Photos in MoscowSee All Photos (142)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Latest Moscow hotel reviews
- Savoy Moscow Hotel
- 181 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott Moscow City Center
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Le Royal Meridian National Hotel
- 340 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Golden Ring
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Izmailovo Complex Gamma-Delta Moscow
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Sherston Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2013
- Holiday Inn Moscow-Lesnaya
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Renaissance Moscow Hotel
- 158 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Salyut Hotel Moscow
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Home from Home Hostel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2012
- Ararat Park Hyatt
- 206 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Kremlin- 229 Reviews, 381 Photos
- Red Square- 121 Reviews, 194 Photos
- KGB Headquarters Lubyanka- 29 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Red Square - Saint Basil Cathedral- 64 Reviews, 130 Photos
- Tverskaya Street- 34 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Bolshoi Theatre- 42 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Arbat Street- 39 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Red Square - G.U.M. - Gosudarstevemy Universahy Magazin- 34 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Vorobievy Hills- 41 Reviews, 46 Photos
- Red Square - Lenin Mausoleum- 40 Reviews, 58 Photos
See All Moscow Things to Do