"St. Petersburg in Spring" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg by Canadienne
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide: 3,625 reviews and 7,776 photos
Peter the Great modelled the city after European capitals and it has long been referred to as Russia's "Window on the West." In some ways, the similarities can be disconcerting ~ the canals, palaces, churches and museums are reminiscent of other cities I've visited. . .but the city isn't entirely welcoming to tourists (outside of groups at least). It takes an extra effort on the part of a visitor ~ in language, in planning, in legwork to obtain the requisite papers ~ to make a visit a success. That said, we put in our effort and were richly rewarded for it.
May is an ideal time to visit ~ you get the benefit of the longer hours of sun without the heavier crowds. . .and you can share in the residents' happiness in welcoming great weather.
The memories I will treasure most:
*Church services ~ the choirs, the chanting and the mesmerizing aroma of incense are unforgettable
*Sunlit walks along Nevsky and its neighbouring streets at 11 pm ~ coming out of a Canadian winter, it was heavenly
*Riding through the network of canals ~ a renewed look at the city's rich architecture
*The Church on Spilled Blood ~ the interior and exterior decoration defy description. . .you'll simply have to see it for yourself
*The Russian Museum ~ a wonderfully arranged introduction to masterful artists whose work tells the history of the country
Information on the imperial palaces ~ Petergof, Pushkin (Tsarskoe Selo) and Pavlovsk ~ will be found on those cities'... more travel advice
Unless you are with a guide or a tour group, getting around without some Russian (language) and Cyrillic (alphabet)... more travel advice
Canadienne's Related Pages
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Petersburg: a City for all Seasons"
- "St Petersburg : City of Peter the Great"
- "St. Petersburg in Spring"
- "STUNNING ST. PETERSBURG!"
- "St. Petersburg - City of cathedrals and bridges"
- "St Petersburg in Summer"
- "Russian for beginers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Petersburg
- Hotels in Saint Petersburg
- Transportation in Saint Petersburg
- Nightlife in Saint Petersburg
- Restaurants in Saint Petersburg
- Shopping in Saint Petersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Petersburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg
- 126 Reviews
- 129 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 74 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Saint Petersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Petersburg
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: Reasons to love India"
- updated a Saint Petersburg Travel Page "St. Petersburg in Spring"
- Uploaded a Photo to "St. Petersburg in Spring"
- Wrote a Review Petergof, Pushkin & Pavlovsk about Admiralty in Saint Petersburg Things to Do
- Commented on one of Canadienne's Saint Petersburg travel pages
Photos in Saint PetersburgSee All Photos (129)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue