Sergiyev Posad Off The Beaten Path Tips by Canadienne Top 5 Page for this destination
Sergiyev Posad Off The Beaten Path: 27 reviews and 67 photos
All of the artists and writers staying at the estate worked together in 1881-2 to build this small church ~ Repin, Nesterov and and Nevrev, among others.
Of all the buildings in the estate, this one's interior should not be missed. The paintings, mosaic floors and tiled walls are breathtaking. The church is small, but the history and creative forces are powerful.
House on Chicken Legs
Built by the artist Victor Vasnetsov, this odd-looking building was inspired by the Russian folktale of Baba Yaga. In the story, the fabled cottage wheels around to face kids and warn them away.
We were lucky to get a picture without anyone in it;, there were two school groups at the estate during our visit and this building was extremeley popular with the kids.
The building pitcured here was originally constructed as a bathhouse in 1873. It's inspired by the architecture of Russian peasant huts and was used by the estate's later owner as a guesthouse.
We didn't buy a ticket to enter this building, but there are some household items on display inside.
Artists' Studio ~ detail
Rather than entering into the Artists' Studio, it's more rewarding to simply appreciate the fantastic carved roof (1872) from outside.
This former Artists' Studio (once used by Serov and Vrubel) now serves as a Museum of Folk Art. You can buy a ticket at the entrance to the grounds (it was about fifty cents, if I remember correctly), but, in all honesty, it's hardly even worth that. The few odds and ends of pottery and sculpture are not labeled. . .and are not impressive in themselves.
The studio is more suited to appreciation from the outside.
More Reviews (16)
- Getting to Sergiev Posad
- Souvenir Shopping
- See All Gate Church of St. John the Baptist
Canadienne's Related Pages
Sergiyev Posad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Troitse-Sergieva Lavra"
- "Sergiyev Posad - Gem of Russia's Golden Ring"
- "One of the highlights of the "Golden Ring""
- "The Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius"
- "In the Golden Ring"
- "Troitse Sergieva Lavra"
- "Sergiev Posad"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sergiyev Posad
- Hotels in Sergiyev Posad
- Transportation in Sergiyev Posad
- Restaurants in Sergiyev Posad
- Shopping in Sergiyev Posad
- Warnings and Dangers in Sergiyev Posad
- See All...
Explore the World
- Japanese Village One Hotels
- Tanza Hotels
- Luang Prabang
- Mogán Hotels
- Ouhans Hotels
Badges & Stats in Sergiyev Posad
- 21 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Sergiyev Posad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sergiyev Posad
Photos in Sergiyev PosadSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Latest Sergiyev Posad hotel reviews
- Aristokrat Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 20, 2011