"Kerala ~ God's Own Country" State of Kerala by Canadienne
State of Kerala Travel Guide: 1,666 reviews and 4,084 photos
The backwaters canals extend almost 500 km and were originally used as trade routes for spices and precious metals.
Today, taking a trip into the Keralan Backwaters is like stepping into another world. You could spend days simply passing through lagoons, watching boats taking children to school, men scaling coconut trees, women doing washing along the village waterways. . .all in the midst of the most lush, green vegetation you can imagine.
There's no traffic, there's very little noise. . .it's a fantastic place to relax and unwind for a while.
My Southern India tour group's first stop in Kerala was Cochin, a neat port city with Portuguese, Dutch, English and Chinese influences.
After a day or so exploring the city, we headed on to Kottyam which was the departure point for our Keralan Backwaters explorations. We changed boats in Alleppey and headed further into the network of canals, to Green Palms, our base for a couple of days. It was a fantastic homestay arrangement with local families.
We also visited Periyar National Park, once we left the backwaters ~ it's a beautiful park, but the elephants that it is renowned for were ever-elusive to us.
Rice and coconut-based curries are the staples of the Keralan menu ~ but fish plays a large role, taking advantage of... more travel advice
Kerala has the highest literacy rate in India ~ 92% in the state, compared to 47% in Bihar. The state language is... more travel advice
Canadienne's Related Pages
State of Kerala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kerala - Well Worth The Wait!!"
- "God's Own Country"
- "Trivandrum ( Town of holy serpant)"
- "God's Own Country"
- "Land of Coconuts and Elephants"
- "Kerala ~ God's Own Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Kerala
- Hotels in State of Kerala
- Transportation in State of Kerala
- Nightlife in State of Kerala
- Restaurants in State of Kerala
- Shopping in State of Kerala
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Kerala
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in State of Kerala
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to State of Kerala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Kerala
Photos in State of KeralaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Top State of Kerala hotels
- Munnar Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 336 Photos
- Kovalam Hotels
- 152 Reviews - 335 Photos
- Thiruvananthapuram Hotels
- 233 Reviews - 504 Photos
- Kochi Hotels
- 424 Reviews - 982 Photos
- Alappuzha Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 302 Photos
- Calicut Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 37 Photos
- Irinjalakuda Hotels
- 1 Review
- Cannanore Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 35 Photos
- Varkkala Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 91 Photos
- Trichur Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Quilon Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 149 Photos
- Periyar Sanctuary Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Ernakulam Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 14 Photos