"The Love Affair Continues!" Top 5 Page for this destination India by Canadienne

India Travel Guide: 28,508 reviews and 78,692 photos

Three years ago, the spell was cast (see my travelogue for an overview of that trip). From my first (rather tentative) steps into India, I was mesmerized by this country of endless richness and contrasts.

Since that fateful trip, I've travelled to other locales (Portugal, France, Russia) and also felt passionately about those places. . .but the call to return to India has always been there. . .growing ever more persuasive.

It was a delightful turn of events to find that three of my best girlfriends would be able to join me for parts of my six-week journey. To be able to share something I love with the people I love. . .it was icing on the cake! My album of my "Team India" can be found here.

Jaclyn and I spent two weeks traveling in Rajasthan, Punjab and Uttaranchal, before she had to return home to work. I then spent a week on my own in Kolkata and Delhi. Finally, Jessica & Lara joined me for a cross-country adventure that took us into Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra.

As you might expect, the sights were amazing ~ luxurious palaces, impenetrable forts, exquisite temples, and ever-varied landscapes.

But memories of sights are not all we bring back ~ we bring back memories of the wonderful people we met. And I think it's memories of these people (and others of course!) that will best stand the test of time. . .

I snapped two photos of signs that caught my attention along the way. One appears to the side here and the other I'll repeat below, for my closing words:

"The world, and everything in it, is as beautiful as you perceive it to be."

• Pros:This country is magical, mystical. . .
  • Cons:. . .and sometimes maddening as well. :-)
  • In a nutshell:India means a new way of seeing, thinking and feeling
  • Last visit to India: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 24, 2004

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Very good and interesting tips
    Gracias !!!

• tushark's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Hello!
    Thanks for visit India & Kolkata.Tushar from Kolkata

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Hi Wonderful and detailed pages.I've book marked many as I start me reading for our planned tripwithin the year. Thanks.

• illumina's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2010 at 3:20 AM

What a wonderful page! thanks for sharing. India really does seem to get into your blood, doesn't it?!

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Hi Stevie, I met the multilingual salesman at the pigment market stall in Mysore, too. He seems to have extended his grasp of foreign languages, as he had guestbooks for Croatian, Russian and Icelandic visitors, too (:-)

• RAJESHSINGH's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2009 at 7:23 AM

HI STEVIE !VISITED UR PAGE GRT INFORMATION ABOUT INDIA!NICE.TC !ENJOY

• Sep 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Wow! Thats a massive bee's nest! I've never seen anything like it... and it looks so scary!

• Makaron's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2008 at 3:15 AM

Very nice page about this great country.

• musicollector's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 4:31 PM

The stares are not intended to be anything more than that. When one stands out in a crowd, people stare surreptitiously in North America. Not so in India or other countries. They simply don't bother to mask their curiosity. It's never meant to be rude.

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2008 at 4:55 AM

Great page. I am planning to visit india with my gf this year. what is the weather like in Dec/Jan?

Badges & Stats in India