"France 2002 & 1995" Top 5 Page for this destination France by Canadienne
France Travel Guide: 59,659 reviews and 163,209 photos
In September 2002, I met my mother in Paris and we flew to Bordeaux together ~ we rented a car and spent the next two weeks travelling along the Dordogne. This area is known to the French as the Perigord.
Outstanding highlights ~ Monpazier is a stunning bastide and it was a perfect place to spend our first days; Rocamodour, although touristy, still offers amazing views and a bit of exercise; Sarlat in time for a market day is un-missable; a Gabarre (boat) ride in La Roque Gageac; Beynac & Castelnaud chateaux; Brantome, The Venice of the Dordogne; and, finally, Bergerac ~ which had a poor write-up in the Rough Guide, but is an incredibly sweet and interesting place.
Final thoughts ~ there is beauty everywhere ~ but the Perigord definitely requires slowing your pace and relaxing. It took me a few days to turn my work/city-mode off and fully apprecieate the rhythm of the region.
One of my favourite scenes from my trip to the Perigord ~ our first nights were spent in a lovely bastide called Monpazier. The covered market was hosting an arts & crafts sale the day after we arrived ~ this empty square in the photograph was packed with stands and stalls filled with handicrafts and local people. It was a wonderful beginning for the trip.
I travelled in France on my own in 1995 ~ it was a month-long a break from University. My trip began with 6 days in Paris (just about the perfect amount of time), then I continued on to Normandy (Rouen, Lillebonne, Le Havre, Caen, Mont St. Michel), Brittany (Rennes), the Loire (Tours, Loches, Amboise) and finally Poitou (Poitiers ~ to visit a pen pal from high school).
I've just scanned in some of my photos from this trip and will be adding commentary over the next few days.
The city of Bergerac has chosen to "adopt' Rostand's character as their lost son, even though there is no solid... more travel advice
The Perigord region is noted for its truffles and goose livers (we saw numerous goose farms. . .and twice again the... more travel advice
Written Mar 27, 2003
Les Jardins du Manoir d'Eyrignac
Written Apr 3, 2003
Chateau de Hautefort
Canadienne's Related Pages
France Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL FRANCE !!!"
- "France - a place for many adventures"
- "France 2002 & 1995"
- "LA BELLE FRANCE"
- "My memory of the past, my dreams of the future"
- See All...
- Things to Do in France
- Hotels in France
- Transportation in France
- Nightlife in France
- Restaurants in France
- Shopping in France
- Warnings and Dangers in France
- See All...
Badges & Stats in France
- 82 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to France?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in France
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue