"France 2002 & 1995" Top 5 Page for this destination France by Canadienne

France Travel Guide: 60,374 reviews and 165,967 photos

The Dordogne: September ~ October 2002

In September 2002, I met my mother in Paris and we flew to Bordeaux together ~ we rented a car and spent the next two weeks travelling along the Dordogne. This area is known to the French as the Perigord.

Outstanding highlights ~ Monpazier is a stunning bastide and it was a perfect place to spend our first days; Rocamodour, although touristy, still offers amazing views and a bit of exercise; Sarlat in time for a market day is un-missable; a Gabarre (boat) ride in La Roque Gageac; Beynac & Castelnaud chateaux; Brantome, The Venice of the Dordogne; and, finally, Bergerac ~ which had a poor write-up in the Rough Guide, but is an incredibly sweet and interesting place.

Final thoughts ~ there is beauty everywhere ~ but the Perigord definitely requires slowing your pace and relaxing. It took me a few days to turn my work/city-mode off and fully apprecieate the rhythm of the region.

One of my favourite scenes from my trip to the Perigord ~ our first nights were spent in a lovely bastide called Monpazier. The covered market was hosting an arts & crafts sale the day after we arrived ~ this empty square in the photograph was packed with stands and stalls filled with handicrafts and local people. It was a wonderful beginning for the trip.

France 1995

I travelled in France on my own in 1995 ~ it was a month-long a break from University. My trip began with 6 days in Paris (just about the perfect amount of time), then I continued on to Normandy (Rouen, Lillebonne, Le Havre, Caen, Mont St. Michel), Brittany (Rennes), the Loire (Tours, Loches, Amboise) and finally Poitou (Poitiers ~ to visit a pen pal from high school).

I've just scanned in some of my photos from this trip and will be adding commentary over the next few days.

• Last visit to France: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Nov 2, 2003

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 5:40 AM

Lovely trip... good photos. One day I hope to visit the countryside. . . and little villages w/ great architecture and tiny alleys.

• vinc_bilb's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Super, great pages, I'm sharing your views, excepted perhaps for Lascaux (not dispointed by the caves itself but by the "not enough time" due to the guide pressure).

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM

The kind of place I like. Nice photo. I lived in France but never came here. Thanks for telling me about it

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2005 at 4:04 PM

A splendid page on a very lovely area! Excellent tip on the cave paintings at Font-de-Gaume, I'd love to see that someday.

• Henkster's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2005 at 4:01 AM

very interesting to see so many rather off the beaten path places

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2004 at 9:48 PM

Great tips, nice to run into a fellow Canadian fan of France! :)

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2003 at 1:17 AM

We also do not book our b&b's or hotels in advance. Mainly because we usually do not know on what day we will arrive anywhere ^O^. Thanks for showing another area of France we will want to visit...

• Nov 3, 2003 at 7:16 PM

Stevie, your pages are simply superb..hats off....Great presentation...Truly professional...

• Jewels's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2003 at 6:28 AM

The Brantome Caves and Grotte de Font-de-Gaume are fascinating! The french love their chateauxs, they look so romantic. Loads of info here and I love your pics.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2003 at 9:48 AM

C'est Vachement bien chere Stevie...une page de France come j'ai jamais vu! Merci, J'adore la France, et J'adore mon amie Stevie! ;-)

Badges & Stats in France