"Bhuj & The Rann of Khachchh" Bhuj by Canadienne

Bhuj Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 107 photos

Bhuj is a wonderful 500+ year old town. It was ruled by the Jadeja clan of Rajputs for 450 years before it merged with the Indian Union. The town is home to many powerful Jain families (whose money wields a lot of influence in Mumbai), Thakkars and Muslims.

A major earthquake on the 2001 Indian Republic Day destroyed much of the city and thousands of lives and homes were lost.

I was lucky enough to visit in the weeks before the earthquake occurred ~ Bhuj offered up a maze of brightly coloured streets, filled with markets, cows and friendly people. It was truly a magical place to begin my travels in India.

"Physically I have survived but mentally I am finished. For us those five minutes have put the clock back by 50 years."

~ Jaikrishnan Meghani, near Bhuj
(The accountant lost his daughter, son-in-law and his house in the earthquake.)

The town of Bhuj is also the gateway to the Rann of Khachchh (Kutch). The Rann is an area that holds a high number of small villages with tribal peoples ~ Rabaris, Jats, Ahir and others.

Each village offers a glimpse into a mode of life that remains almost unchanged. . .as long as you stay off the beaten track, courtesy of a knowledgeable guide. The people we encountered were exceptionally welcoming and the crafts and customs were a highlight of my travels in the country.

• Last visit to Bhuj: Jan 2001
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2003

• mehulraj's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2011 at 8:42 PM

best bhuj pages.Even i have to look again where these places are.Things has quite changed now.Actuall good i can say now

• rajesh11's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 1:15 AM

I hail from Bhuj & have seen in it's pristene past. for the first timer it's still sleepy town. Autos-- I have seen town from horse pulled carriage to the autos. We could even remember the auto numbers & film names that went with the autos. Thanks.

• nomada's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 2:06 AM

What a wonderful place Stevie !!! Your page has convinced me to go...

• grets's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2005 at 10:29 AM

Fascinating!

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2004 at 4:02 AM

What a great page. Have you published any of your travelogues?

• butterfly_girl's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 9:25 AM

Greetings from Austin. Wonderful pictures.

• enroute's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2004 at 1:53 AM

Fantastic page!!! Very interesting!!!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2004 at 2:50 AM

I especially liked the Local Customs in this lovely page, Great work Stevie dear ;-))

• Maph's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2004 at 8:05 AM

Great pages, nice pics, beautiful

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2004 at 11:09 PM

This place reminds me of a village in China I went where no tourists visited... it was a most interesting experience :-)

Badges & Stats in Bhuj