"Bhuj & The Rann of Khachchh" Bhuj by Canadienne
Bhuj Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 107 photos
Bhuj is a wonderful 500+ year old town. It was ruled by the Jadeja clan of Rajputs for 450 years before it merged with the Indian Union. The town is home to many powerful Jain families (whose money wields a lot of influence in Mumbai), Thakkars and Muslims.
A major earthquake on the 2001 Indian Republic Day destroyed much of the city and thousands of lives and homes were lost.
I was lucky enough to visit in the weeks before the earthquake occurred ~ Bhuj offered up a maze of brightly coloured streets, filled with markets, cows and friendly people. It was truly a magical place to begin my travels in India.
"Physically I have survived but mentally I am finished. For us those five minutes have put the clock back by 50 years."
~ Jaikrishnan Meghani, near Bhuj
(The accountant lost his daughter, son-in-law and his house in the earthquake.)
The town of Bhuj is also the gateway to the Rann of Khachchh (Kutch). The Rann is an area that holds a high number of small villages with tribal peoples ~ Rabaris, Jats, Ahir and others.
Each village offers a glimpse into a mode of life that remains almost unchanged. . .as long as you stay off the beaten track, courtesy of a knowledgeable guide. The people we encountered were exceptionally welcoming and the crafts and customs were a highlight of my travels in the country.
Mechanisation still hasn't hit farms in India ~ work is done by beasts of burden (both human and animal). It was a... more travel advice
This view from a farm near Bhuj is such a contrast to the Rann of Khachchh villages that we visited ~ we went from lush,... more travel advice
Canadienne's Related Pages
Bhuj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bhuj & The Rann of Khachchh"
- "The Rann of Kutch ( Bhuj) - The White Desert!"
- "Bhuj Kutch"
- "Kutch - Bhuj"
- "ANJAR Earthquake relief"
- "WHERE EARTHQUAKES GIVES LESSONS OF HOLLYNESS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bhuj
- Hotels in Bhuj
- Transportation in Bhuj
- Restaurants in Bhuj
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bhuj
- 32 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 61 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bhuj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bhuj
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue