"The Hidden Gem of Rajasthan" Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi by Canadienne
Bundi Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 122 photos
According to legend, back in the 12th century, restless young nobles of the warrior Chauhan clan conquered the tribal peoples of these lands. In 1624, Emperor Jahangir pressured the local rulers and split the state into two parts—Bundi and Kota. While Kota grew to become an industrial and prosperous town, Bundi remained a simple, rural place caught in a web of history. The town lost its glory, but continued to be an independent state under British rule and became a part of India when it gained independence in 1947.
There is a timeless, trapped-in-amber, atmosphere in Bundi. The town offers fascinating monuments including a medieval fort, palaces, elaborately carved chhatris (tombs), and a scenic lake in the heart of the town.
Bundi also has a strong association with Rudyard Kipling, who drew inspiration from the beautiful town and its surroundings. Set in a narrow valley, the palaces and fortress of Bundi seem to come straight out of a fairytale. There are very few places in the country that can match this small town's picturesque location.
Jaipur Palace may be called the Versailles of India. . .Jodhpur's House of strife, gray towers on red rock, is the work of giants, but the Palace of Bundi, even in broad daylight, is such a palace as men build for themselves in uneasy dreams--the work of goblins rather than of men.
- Rudyard Kipling
We arranged for our local guide through the Hotel Haveli Braj Bhushanjee. His name was Kesave and I would recommend... more travel advice
Bundi is known across the country for its school of miniature paintings, one of the main arts of India. The town itself,... more travel advice
Canadienne's Related Pages
Bundi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Hidden Gem of Rajasthan"
- "Medieval Magic of Bundi"
- "Bundi - A Jewel"
- "Pink faced monkeys or black faced monkeys?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bundi
- Hotels in Bundi
- Transportation in Bundi
- Shopping in Bundi
- Warnings and Dangers in Bundi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bundi
- 25 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bundi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bundi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue