"~ Chittaurgarh ~" Top 5 Page for this destination Chittaurgarh by Canadienne
Chittaurgarh Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 154 photos
Chittaurgarh's history can be traced back to the seventh century. It was a Rajput capital from the eighth to the 16th century, fending off numerous brutal attacks from Muslim rulers.
In 1567, facing another invasion, the king fled to establish a new capital ~ Udaipur ~ leaving behind Chittaurgarh to be defended by two young Rajput generals. They fought in vain. . .Akbar razed the fort to rubble.
Chittaurgarh was never inhabited again.
The fort today is extremely appealing ~ although in partial ruin, the buildings still hold a sense of history and spirit.
The cliff-top view is also amazing. With such a formidable site, it's easy to understand why it would be so contested, but hard to imagine the will it must have taken to attack.
I'm fairly certain this building to the left is the Padhmini's Palace, which has a small lake pavilion next to it. The... more travel advice
I'm not sure where else to put this tip. . .as it doesn't fall into any other category. Along the road leading into the... more travel advice
Canadienne's Related Pages
Chittaurgarh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Once a Mighty Rajput Kingdom"
- "A Raiput capital"
- "~ Chittaurgarh ~"
- "Chittaurgarh - Beautiful Fort"
- "Chittaurgarh - Love, War and Jauhar"
- "Chittorgarh - Fortress of Honor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chittaurgarh
- Hotels in Chittaurgarh
- Transportation in Chittaurgarh
- Restaurants in Chittaurgarh
- Warnings and Dangers in Chittaurgarh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chittaurgarh
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Chittaurgarh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chittaurgarh
Photos in ChittaurgarhSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue