"Fatehpur Sikri" Fatehpur Sikri by Canadienne
Fatehpur Sikri Travel Guide: 239 reviews and 737 photos
The legend of Fatehpur Sikri begins. . .
The Mughal Emperor Akbar was heirless, so he made a pilgrimage to the renowned Sufi saint, Sheik Salim Chisti, who lived in a city called Sikri, to seek his blessings. When a son -- later to be known as Jahangir -- was born to him, then two more, Akbar named his first-born after the saint as a mark of his gratitude. His thanks went even further in that he built the capital of his empire in the city of Sikri, adding Fatehpur to the name of the city, meaning “town of victory.”
Begun in 1571, the new capital contained elaborate palaces, formal courtyards, reflecting pools, harems, tombs and a great mosque. The complex covered over a wide expanse of land and required thousands of labourers to see it to completion. It was largely constructed from red sandstone, which was available locally and which contributed to the striking beauty of the buildings.
Work was completed after fifteen years, and it became apparent shortly thereafter that there wasn’t enough water to support the capital and its people. The city was abandoned.
Located about 37 km from Agra, the city today is populated by approximately 30,000 people. Although it is an easy daytrip from Agra and the Taj Mahal, I didn’t find that it was overrun with tourists by any means. The lack of visitors contributed even more to the feeling that the complex was a ghost-town of sorts.
I definitely recommend a visit.
One of the most striking buildings in Fatehpur Sikri's palace complex is the Panch Mahal (Five-Storeyed Palace). Akbar's... more travel advice
Although this is a poor photo of it, the Hiran Minar is a small tower covered with prongs. It is pretty visible from the... more travel advice
Canadienne's Related Pages
Fatehpur Sikri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Fatehpur Sikri"
- "The GRAND center of Akbar's world...for 15 years."
- "Fatehpur Sikri - The Abandoned City"
- "AN ABANDONED CITY-AKBARS FATEHPUR SIKRI"
- "Fatehpur Sikri-Victory town!!"
- "Fatehpur Sikri"
- "Fathepur Sikri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fatehpur Sikri
- Hotels in Fatehpur Sikri
- Transportation in Fatehpur Sikri
- Restaurants in Fatehpur Sikri
- Shopping in Fatehpur Sikri
- Warnings and Dangers in Fatehpur Sikri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fatehpur Sikri
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Fatehpur Sikri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fatehpur Sikri
Photos in Fatehpur SikriSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 113 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 115 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 126 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhuj Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bundi Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sydney Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue