"Madurai" Top 5 Page for this destination Madurai by Canadienne

Madurai Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 316 photos

Madurai is Tamil Nadu's oldest city. It's a wonderful place to spend a few days ~ we were here for two and I would have enjoyed spending a bit more time here (the downside of a tour).

Madurai has impressive origins ~ it was the site of the Sangams (literary meetings) some 2000 years ago. . .the Tamil language is considered to be one of the oldest in the world and it has a long poetic history.

The city was apparently originally laid out in a lotus motif, but it has expanded and grown since then. This is a true southern temple town ~ a terrific mix of bazaars, atmospheric streets and a vast temple complex.

My exterior photos don't do the city justice ~ both days were rainy and grey.

• Last visit to Madurai: Dec 2000
  • Intro Updated Apr 9, 2003

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2004 at 1:11 PM

I can just imagine how fun the people-watching must be in this place! Your pics of the figures in the plaster carvings are outstanding!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2004 at 7:39 AM

Awesome page. Next time I go to India, remind me to bring an extra bag for all the tailor-made clothes I'll buy!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2004 at 11:01 PM

Ok, that explains it! I had seen a wonderful view of Meenakshi from the top & it was amazing!

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2004 at 10:06 AM

Wonderful page, Stevie. I loved that ceiling and the cow guarding the bike, LOL! Thanks.

• Jan 14, 2004 at 12:40 AM

Amazing page..Your coverage is superb.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2003 at 9:04 AM

Fascinating detail in the temple and excellent coverage. . .cows, always cows. Says a mouthful!

• Docu2001's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2003 at 12:48 PM

Quite an amazing building ...

Badges & Stats in Madurai

Have you been to Madurai?

Latest Activity in Madurai