"Mamallapuram" Mamallapuram by Canadienne

Mamallapuram Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 653 photos

Mamallapuram, or Mahabalipuram, was the site of a day trip that we made from Chennai.

The beachfront town is home to over ten UNESCO protected rock-cut temples and shrines.

It is also home to a very high number of postcard, keychain and trinket salesmen. . .and they are very persistent. We were followed through most of our tour of the temple sites. . .and given multiple pitches even while our local guide was talking.

• Last visit to Mamallapuram: Dec 2000
  • Intro Written Apr 9, 2003

• suru's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Your "warning" about India can happen in any country including Canada. Flat tyre,meals etc..are these faults of India?Happened to me in Canda too. Blame the country fro your bad luck?! Let not your frustrations misgude the others travellers.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2004 at 3:57 AM

& hopefully those $$$ go through the right hands!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2004 at 11:59 AM

I really wished I had made to Mamallapuram. It looks lovely. I certainly experienced some of those bumps on the road that you write about.

• yumiyun's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2003 at 12:10 AM

You have many great pages on Indian distinations. I'd love see more on this location!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 4:23 PM

A nice little page on this corner of India! I am always amazed when I see the grandeur of rock carvings like those you experienced from years long ago! Great photos!

• Sep 7, 2003 at 11:40 AM

Another good page on a place in India I really enjoyed (although the kids/ salesmen are annoying)

• jide08's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2003 at 3:42 AM

Nice sculptures in the rocks

Badges & Stats in Mamallapuram

Have you been to Mamallapuram?

Latest Activity in Mamallapuram