"A must see...the first Buddhist temple in China" Baimasi by ChuckG
Baimasi Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 6 photos
White Horse Temple (Baimasi)
Located about twenty kilometers west of Luoyang and having a history of 1,900 years, this temple was the first Buddhist monastery ever built in China and is still inhabited by monks. During the Easter Han Dynasty (A.D. 25 -220), the emperor dispatched monks to India to obtain Buddhist scriptures; these were brought back to China on a white horse, in memory of which a monastery was built near Luoyang.
The White Horse Temple is a group of compactly arranged palaces, towers and halls surrounded by scarlet walls and covered with yellow glazed tiles with many stone tablets bearing calligraphic inscriptions. The most magnificent buildings in the temple include the Hall of Heavenly Kings, the Hall of Great Buddha, the Grand Hall, the Reception Hall (Jieyindian), the Clear and Cool Terrace (Qingliangtai), and the southeast is Matching Clouds Pagoda (Qiyunta), a square structure 24 meters high with thirteen levels.
Other interesting places to visit in Luoyang include the Guan Yu Grove (Guanlin) where General Guan Yu of the State of Shu during the Three Kingdoms Period was buried, the Western Han Tomb with murals inside the Imperial Palace Park, and ruins of Hanjia Granary built during the Sui Dynasty at the beginning of the sixth century.
ChuckG's Related Pages
Baimasi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The White Horse Temple in Henan Province"
- "A must see...the first Buddhist temple in China"
- "White Horse Temple"
- See All...
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baimasi
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Baimasi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baimasi
Photos in BaimasiSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luoyang Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 30 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 26 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangalore Intro, 21 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fujisawa Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 12 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Osaka Intro, 9 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues