"Incredible Yellowstone National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park by kazander

Yellowstone National Park Travel Guide: 1,098 reviews and 3,444 photos

A natural place to Honeymoon.....

Before I met my husband, I was not nearly as interested in hiking, camping or National/State parks in general. I always had an interest, but it was eclipsed by my need to discover other countries. Lou's travel interests are more domestic. He reopened my eyes to the beautiful country we live in, (a fact one might forget when living in the suburbs of New Jersey) our travels together have been mostly in search of great American landscapes. He is the best partner in crime, not only as a husband, but in our chosen field as well. I found myself becoming more and more interested in nature photography. We have become an unstoppable duo of adventure photographers! When discussing where we would like to Honeymoon, Yellowstone seemed the natural choice. Yellowstone National Park was always someplace we had wanted to go, so what better time to go then to celebrate our marriage. An amazingly beautiful place to explore , to hone our photo skills, and to appreciate the fact that we have indeed found the best person to spend the rest of our lives with. He's my Lobster!

We spent our honeymoon exploring Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, Jackson and parts of Idaho. We also visited some parts of Montana including Gardiner and West Yellowstone. It was truly the trip of a lifetime!

America's 1st National Park, established 1872

Much of Yellowstone sits atop a giant super volcano or caldera. Colorful hotsprings of turquoise blues and emerald greens, geysers blowing scalding water hundreds or feet in the air and gurgling, plopping, mudpots are all the result of volcanic activity from underneath the earth's surface.
Though Old Faithful is most definately the parks most famous feature, the wildlife here is hardly the second banana. Moose, Bison, Elk, Coyotes, Bears, Pronghorn Antelope...and the list goes on.
There are many other attractions in the park to take your breath away. The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone has the Yellowstone River carving through it's multicolored walls and drops 300 feet to create the much photographed Lower Falls. (to name just one)
The feeling I got while we were in Yellowstone was really one of awe. What an ancient place. You could really imagine that some parts are just as they looked centuries ago. The thermal features give you a sense of how powerful our planet must be. It was a creepy yet peaceful feeling. This place has gotten in my head and in my blood, I feel a need to return so strongly I can't explain. I would drop everything and go right now if I could.

Blessing in disguise?

In 1988 wildfires tore through the park, burning acres and acres of pine forest. Many people were concerned that the beauty of the park would be lost. Fire has a regenerative quality though. Lodgepole pinecones actually NEED fire to open and spread their seeds. Without it, no new trees would ever grow. Large vistas that wouldn't have been seen before are now visable. Small green trees are growing in the dark thin shadows of their forefathers. Amongst the smaller trees, wildlife is easier to spot.

UPDATE! We have just returned from our 2nd Yellowstone trip! It was very different than our last and I have a ton of new tips to share with you. What an amazing place! :)

• Pros:Geysers, colorful hot springs, waterfalls and wildlife!
  • Cons:Limited variety of food in the park and takes a LONG time to get out
  • In a nutshell:An experience I wouldn't trade for the world
  • Last visit to Yellowstone National Park: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 23, 2007

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Hello Amy, Outstanding pages. Thanks for the virtual tour. Tomas Eriksson :)

• Krumel's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I loved your page and your photos! I don't have time to go through all of it now, but will definitely be back in preparation for my upcoming visit to Yellowstone!

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2008 at 5:04 AM

Great stuff! It kills me that I missed the full blown view of Grand Prismatic Spring. When the kiddies get older, I'll have to go back!

• JohnKarl's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2007 at 10:45 AM

I happened to run in at the Grant-village restaurant with no reservation, they were able to squeeze the 5 of us in within 30 minutes, and the Lamb I had was one of the best I ever had. The Chef of the day must have been a top Chef

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2007 at 2:19 PM

A very enjoyable read with some great photos. I've been to Yellowstone twice and don't have a single photo to show for it. That was in my pre-VT days. Just wait until next time.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Great page!

• husain's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 9:07 PM

great page and some incredible pictures!

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Ahhhh....your opening page for Yellowstone is breathtaking. I love landscapes and rainbows! I will definitely refer back to your pictures and tips as we plan our 2008 trip!

• RUTHWR's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 1:24 PM

Such helpful info and beautiful pictures. We will be vacationing in YNP for the first time next April. Staying in Big Sky Mt and driving almost daily into the park. Thanks for great info.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2006 at 3:29 AM

Amazing, incredible and absolutely beautiful

kazander

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair ~ Kahlil Gibran”

Badges & Stats in Yellowstone National Park

Have you been to Yellowstone National Park?