"Beautiful Zion" Zion National Park by kazander
Zion National Park Travel Guide: 572 reviews and 1,249 photos
Zion National Park was our first stop on our "Grand Circle" Tour of Utah. It Is often the first stop on a grand circle tour because of it's close proximity to Las Vegas (only a 3 hour car trip away) It can get quite crowded in the Summertime, but in winter is is relatively quiet. When we went the weather was unseasonably warm, so lots of people were out. Not to mention it was St. Patrick's day weekend and the "gateway" town to Zion, Springdale, has it's big St. Patty's day parade and festivities. By going early in the year, you can drive the scenic road in your own vehicle. During the season, you must take the Zion shuttle, which really isn't as limiting as one might think. The shuttle runs all day and frequently. This keeps traffic to a minimum which keeps you moving and lessens pollution in the park. As I mentioned, the shuttle wasn't running when we were there, and even in winter (though it was 80 degrees!) The parking lots were almost filled to capacity.
Zion is an Oasis in the desert. The Virgin river flows though the park and the Canyons have lush vegetation. There are so many beautiful trails that let you really experience the park. I found that most of the parks in Utah are not "drive by and take a shot out the window" type of places. You really have to get yourself out there and hike to get to see the really amazing things that each park is known for. The most famous of Zions hikes is the Narrows trail. One drawback of going in the wintertime is that this trail is not the best option unless you want frozen feet. It mostly consists of wading through the Virgin river, which is cold, even in summer. Going in Summer when it's over a hundred degrees, I imagine the cool shade of the canyon and the cool water of the virgin is a relief, but in winter when it was about 50 in the shade, we opted to skip it this time. When we return is is a definite!
In Progress! More to come
- Cons:not enough time here
- In a nutshell:We'll be back!
To get around the main "Canyon" section of the park in the summertime, you will have to take the Zion Shuttle service.... more travel advice
Back on our September trip to Wyoming, we purchased a now discontinued National Parks Pass. Parks passes are honored for... more travel advice
kazander's Related Pages
Zion National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Zion National Park Page"
- "Getting High in Zion"
- "Zion National Park, One of My Favorites"
- "Fall Colours and Waterfalls at Zion NP"
- "Zion National Park"
- "Zion, such a wonderful place"
- "Zion National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zion National Park
- Hotels in Zion National Park
- Transportation in Zion National Park
- Nightlife in Zion National Park
- Restaurants in Zion National Park
- Shopping in Zion National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Zion National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Zion National Park
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Zion National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zion National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Selling Photographs"
- updated a Zion National Park Travelogue "Next stop on the circle... Antelope Canyon!"
- Wrote a Review Relaxed Atmosphere in Zion National Park Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Summer shuttle, winter driving"
- Commented on one of GuthrieColin's Zion National Park travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 61 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey Intro, 45 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 41 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acadia National Park Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Rico Intro, 21 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 24 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 28 reviews, 33 photos