"Beautiful hike with TONS of waterfalls" Ricketts Glen State Park by kazander

Ricketts Glen State Park Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 122 photos

I've gone camping in this area every summer for 5 years,(my boyfriend for 15) and it was only last year that we discovered that we had been passing by this park filled with over 20 waterfalls and never knew what we were missing. So last May we decided to check it out and made a special trip to the Park. It was amazing. I highly recommend it

Rickett's Glen was named after Colonel Robert Ricketts, a Civil war veteran who owned this land back in the day. His heirs subsequently gave the land to the state. In the 1930's the area was supposed to be a national park and was approved for this title, but then WWII came and the plans were halted. In 1993, it finally became became a state park.

Two branches of Kitchen's Creek find their way down the mountains through series of waterfalls and eventually meet up at the aptly named "Waters Meet". The waterfalls are not the only attraction. Some of the giant trees in the park have been found to be 900 years old! And don't forget the wildlife here, watch out for those bears!

• Pros:Beautiful, natural area
  • Cons:flies in spring
  • Last visit to Ricketts Glen State Park: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2004

• Mar 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM

The upper triangle of the Falls Trail beginning & ending at Lake Rose (and including the three falls just below Waters Meet also), this hike is only 3 1/2 miles instead of 7! (From the swimming area parking, the distance is about 4 1/2 miles.)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 2:23 PM

great pics!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2005 at 8:17 AM

Amy, what an enjoyable trip. Love the neon sign for the hotel! What breathtaking scenery. Your travelogues are excellent. I can just imagine what it was like in the rain on the trail. Your restaurant reviews are terrific.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2005 at 9:04 AM

Beautiful country in Pennsylvania. I always enjoy going there. My husband was born in PA. Thank you for an enjoyable trip through Rickett's State Glen. :-) Kat

• GypsyGal's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2005 at 10:56 AM

I grew up near Rickett's Glen State Park and it is still one of my favorite places to hike! Gotta love those waterfalls!!!!!!!!!

• eurotravels's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2005 at 5:45 AM

You're right, very pretty. My two favourites I've been to are the Golling waterfall at Salzburg, and Golden Falls, Iceland.

• gregoryr1m's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2004 at 9:12 PM

The next time I go to Pennsylvania, I'll have to visit Ricketts Glen State Park. It looks so beautiful. I love water falls.

• adventerrtravel22's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2004 at 7:23 AM

Majestic pictures. I love the effect of the running water, looks like milk. Very mysterious and captivating.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2004 at 5:44 PM

Beautiful falls photos. Looks like a really nice place.

• Boppie's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2004 at 2:19 PM

I am totally blown away by the beauty of these photos. Well, well done!

kazander

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair ~ Kahlil Gibran”

Badges & Stats in Ricketts Glen State Park

Have you been to Ricketts Glen State Park?

Photos in Ricketts Glen State Park