""Gorges" Watkins Glen State Park" Watkins Glen State Park by kazander

Watkins Glen State Park Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 90 photos

We Made It!!!

It seems as though I have been wanted to visit this park for YEARS! Ever since I saw my first photograph of the waterfalls I have been planning to visit. After I saw the entire page my friend Johnny (VT name Chodearm) had put up on Watkins Glen, the need became even greater. I HAD to get to this beautiful park! We planned on going last summer, but seemed to be thwarted at every turn. When I planned our Memorial Day weekend to Niagara Falls and Buffalo, it seemed like a perfect opportunity to drop by on our way home. Luckily it all worked out. I can breathe a sigh of relief...I have made it to Watkins Glen State Park.

This "Gorges" state park used to be a private resort. It's now open to the public. The winding carved staircases, tunnels and stone bridges lead you through a magical enchanted forest. There are 19 waterfalls along the way, with the trail taking you behind 2 of them.

• In a nutshell:enchanted forest
  • Last visit to Watkins Glen State Park: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2005

• aveeshkumar's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Hi - thx for your info - a quick question - is this doable by kids? we are a family with 3 kids - ages 5-10 - and can some of the hikes be done in a day? Can you stay overnight ehere - camping or otherwise? Thx - aveeshkumar@gmail.com

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2006 at 7:10 AM

Spectacular scenery as evidenced by your brilliant photos; your lovely descriptions are quite enticing. The place you ate at seemed just wonderful.

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2005 at 6:22 AM

I had never heard of Watkins Glen State Park, but I'm now very intrigued.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2005 at 2:57 PM

no wonder you wanted to come here wehat a lovely hike amongst the waterfalls, love walking behind them too

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2005 at 12:11 AM

Just beautiful Amy!! Hope you have recovered from the shopping disappointment ; ))

• kooka3's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2005 at 8:41 AM

I'm glad you finally got to go to Watkins Glen! It is a beautiful place, and I'm looking forward to going back.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2005 at 1:47 PM

Amy, another beautiful page with outstanding photos! This is a very impressive looking part of the State!! Nice that you saw those Mergansers, they are not all that common to see even up here in the 'wilds' New Brunswick!

• adventerrtravel22's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2005 at 9:28 AM

Awesome pics as usual Amy. You should start writing a book on places to see and tips on the NorthEast. You seem to be everywhere.

• chodearm's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2005 at 7:37 AM

Thanks for the link-up on the head page. Beautiful stuff here Amy.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2005 at 12:49 PM

Gorgeous gorge indeed! Adventure & waterfall queen I think Amy! I have never seen to many wonderful fall photos taken by anyone other than you! Pleased you finally made it to Watlins, I can see why you wanted to vist. Excellent page !@~_~@

kazander

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair ~ Kahlil Gibran”

Badges & Stats in Watkins Glen State Park

Have you been to Watkins Glen State Park?

Latest Activity in Watkins Glen State Park