"Coney Island" Coney Island by kazander

Coney Island Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 60 photos

One rainy day in August Lou and I decided to venture into Brooklyn to go to the New York Aqaurium. When we parked we noticed Coney Island was right next door, so after a day of sea creatures, we headed over to the boardwalk. Neither of us had ever been to Coney Island before. We most likely will never go again, unless we decide to attend the Mermaid Parade....

Although it was interesting to be someplace that we had always heard about, yet never visited despite the close proximity to home, we were disappointed. It was dirty, very dirty. The rides are so old they look like they could collapse at any given moment. Even the famed Cyclone roller coaster looked bad. I suppose this is part of it's charm, but to me the Jersey Shore has the same attractions: a boardwalk, rides, the beach all of which are better maintained.

• Pros:Good if you like "vintage" rides
  • Cons:rundown, dirty and they have really bad lemonade...
  • In a nutshell:get me outta here and take me to the Jersey Shore!
  • Last visit to Coney Island: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2004

• Beth75NJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2005 at 10:31 AM

I've gotta love my fellow Jersey Girl! thanks for taking the guilt out of me that i've never been to Coney Island.

• TempNomad's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2005 at 2:58 PM

I think you might have gone on a bad day. Granted, people have a hard time finding the trash cans sometimes, but the rides aren't THAT bad! The bumper cars and Wonder Wheel are always a good bet.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2004 at 12:01 AM

Hmmmm.......glad I didn't bother to go there when in NYC ; ))

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2004 at 1:00 PM

Have heard of Coney Island. Was it used in a film? Nice to see what it looks like now, Thanks Amy (~_~)

kazander

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair ~ Kahlil Gibran”

Badges & Stats in Coney Island

Have you been to Coney Island?

Latest Activity in Coney Island