"The Catskill Mountains and Kaaterskill Falls" Catskill State Park by kazander
Catskill State Park Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 30 photos
I'm OK, banged up, but OK. Lou and I went hiking to see the tallest waterfall in Eastern New York State, Kaaterskill Falls. It was gorgeous! Getting to the 1st level was easy, it's the second that is super steep, on the way back was when I took my spill, but Lou saved me from plummeting to my death so I live on to tell the tale :)
We started off the day around 11, made it as far as New Paltz when we found ourselves in need of some lunch. We popped into town and found a hole in the wall cafe with kick ass falafel. After lunch we stepped into the street and found a gay pride parade was taking place, after nearly being beaned in the head by some sort of something the drag queen on the float threw into the crowd, we ducked into a great little antique shop where Lou bought me a necklace (he's sweet).
Onward we went in search of the highest waterfall in NY, Kaaterskill. Of course it was now that it decided to pour down in buckets. So we passed our destination and ended up in the crayola colored town of Tannersville. I had read about the Antiques and Cheese store so we decided to wait out the rain while having chocolate fondue for dessert.
The rain did not stop.
We left Tannersville and parked at the lot not far from the trail head. At this point the rain was just a drizzle. We had just about given up going to the falls, but I felt we must push on. We grabbed the umbrella and headed to the trail.
Only after hours of hiking, when we had returned to the car, did the rain start to pour down again....
Once upon a time, the Catskills were a hot vacation destination. Remember "Dirty Dancing" ? Think that sort of place. It's not really like that so much anymore. There are still a few remaining resorts, most of them get busy in the winter during ski season, but in summer, they are sad and empty. Still, locals know the hikes and campsites, and the "secret" beautiful spots. You can find them too, leave the crowds at the beach, the Catskills are worth a visit. :)
For the scale of this waterfall, enlarge the photo. There is a teeny tiny person sitting on the ledge at the bottom, what a great place for a swim!!!
- Pros:Just beautiful
- Cons:I fell down!
- In a nutshell:great little getaway
We met this little fella on Rt 23A on the way back to the car. He was just hanging out roadside. Good thing he's nice... more travel advice
The Catskills area has a fascinating history. In the late 1800's it was a vacation hotspot. Many large, luxury hotels... more travel advice
kazander's Related Pages
Catskill State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Catskill Mountains and Kaaterskill Falls"
- "The Catskill Mountains Region"
- "Camping in the Catskills while Blackout of 2003"
- "The Catskills"
- "Catskill New York - Camping and Hiking"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Catskill State Park
- Transportation in Catskill State Park
- Restaurants in Catskill State Park
- Shopping in Catskill State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Catskill State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Catskill State Park
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Catskill State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Catskill State Park
- updated a Catskill State Park Travel Page "The Catskill Mountains and Kaaterskill Falls"
- Commented on one of johncudw's Catskill State Park travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Selling Photographs"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Inspiration for a work of art"
- Wrote a Review get to know the locals in Catskill State Park Local Customs
Photos in Catskill State ParkSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 61 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey Intro, 45 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 41 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acadia National Park Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Rico Intro, 21 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 24 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 28 reviews, 33 photos