"The Catskill Mountains and Kaaterskill Falls" Catskill State Park by kazander

Catskill State Park Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 30 photos

I fell down a Catskill Mountain!

I'm OK, banged up, but OK. Lou and I went hiking to see the tallest waterfall in Eastern New York State, Kaaterskill Falls. It was gorgeous! Getting to the 1st level was easy, it's the second that is super steep, on the way back was when I took my spill, but Lou saved me from plummeting to my death so I live on to tell the tale :)

meant to be?

We started off the day around 11, made it as far as New Paltz when we found ourselves in need of some lunch. We popped into town and found a hole in the wall cafe with kick ass falafel. After lunch we stepped into the street and found a gay pride parade was taking place, after nearly being beaned in the head by some sort of something the drag queen on the float threw into the crowd, we ducked into a great little antique shop where Lou bought me a necklace (he's sweet).
Onward we went in search of the highest waterfall in NY, Kaaterskill. Of course it was now that it decided to pour down in buckets. So we passed our destination and ended up in the crayola colored town of Tannersville. I had read about the Antiques and Cheese store so we decided to wait out the rain while having chocolate fondue for dessert.
The rain did not stop.
We left Tannersville and parked at the lot not far from the trail head. At this point the rain was just a drizzle. We had just about given up going to the falls, but I felt we must push on. We grabbed the umbrella and headed to the trail.
Only after hours of hiking, when we had returned to the car, did the rain start to pour down again....

slice

Once upon a time, the Catskills were a hot vacation destination. Remember "Dirty Dancing" ? Think that sort of place. It's not really like that so much anymore. There are still a few remaining resorts, most of them get busy in the winter during ski season, but in summer, they are sad and empty. Still, locals know the hikes and campsites, and the "secret" beautiful spots. You can find them too, leave the crowds at the beach, the Catskills are worth a visit. :)

For the scale of this waterfall, enlarge the photo. There is a teeny tiny person sitting on the ledge at the bottom, what a great place for a swim!!!

• Pros:Just beautiful
  • Cons:I fell down!
  • In a nutshell:great little getaway
  • Last visit to Catskill State Park: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 11, 2007

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2006 at 4:27 PM

This looks like such a nice place! I never knew there was anything like this around the Catskills. Good thing nothing happened to you after that fall.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2006 at 9:10 AM

Amy, what an adventure; one I'm sure you'll never forget. How sad that the area is no longer the thriving "destination" it once was. But, the natural part is still breathtaking, and your great descriptions and lovely photos bring it to life.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2006 at 12:33 AM

What a beautiful place! But I can leave the micro-mini and stilettos at home hey!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 1:53 PM

Being on the eastern shore, I usually think of trips headed West. I think we need to head to NY. Thanks.

• chancay's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 6:46 AM

rella impressive and interesting page ;-) great photos...I was wondering if it is cat skill or cats kill there...;-)) but as dangerous as it is I guess it´s more a catkiller ;-D

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2005 at 3:39 PM

Quite a wilderness hike, Amy!! I know how slippery wet roots and rocks can be - lucky you were OK. However, I must say that magnificent drop into its deep bowl looks like it was worth it!! Great page as usual.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2005 at 1:17 PM

Sounds like we are lucky to still have you! Looks a beautiful area & your photos are so lovely Amy. Poor slug, lol! The pic of you & Lou is nice, Yummy falafal! (~_~)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2005 at 1:12 PM

A really outstanding page, Amy - very well written. Thank God you survived. I didn't know the Catskills had such a great waterfall. Now it's on our to-do list.

• Beth75NJ's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2005 at 9:51 AM

I think we're going to have to dub you the "waterfall queen!" gorgeious pix, of course! and i'm sorry to hear about the slug incident! yuck! :)

• Boppie's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2005 at 9:38 AM

Wonderful tips about your adventure. I wish I could leave work and go right now! Chocolate fondue and beautiful waterfalls....great combo.

kazander

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair ~ Kahlil Gibran”

Badges & Stats in Catskill State Park

Have you been to Catskill State Park?