Valley of Fire State Park Things to Do Tips by kazander Top 5 Page for this destination
Valley of Fire State Park Things to Do: 85 reviews and 139 photos
Vallry of Fire
We drove up to this great vantage point. It has a really breathtaking view of the park. You look down upon craggy mountains that seen to extend forever. The striking color changes in the rock are from diffrent layers of sandstone.
The half mile trail to Mouse's Tank has many petroglyph examples along the way. This area is also called Petroglyph Canyon. They were done by the Anasazi people who used to inhabit this area. The Anasazi lived here from approximately the year 300BC to 1150AD.
Petroglyphs can also be seen in other areas of the park such as Atlatl Rock.
Valley of Fire
We entered via the west entrance so this was the first area we stopped at.
These wonderful rock formations were formed from the wind and the water whipping across the stone.
We spent a lot of time exploring here. it's easy to get wrapped up and forget there is a huge park still to see!
Cabins in the Valley of Fire
These sandstone cabins were built in the 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps. They were originally used as shelters, now it's a picnic area.
The most distinct rock formation in the park. You can see it as you drive by, but it's worth getting out of the car and hiking up to it, I don't care how hot it is!!!! the views from the road are not as good as the elephant shape blends into the background a bit. You may find it's more striking when you climb up and look at it from slightly above it.
The park is a great place to spend the day. It's only $5 for a day pass.
Directions: Traveling NE on Interstate 15 from Las Vegas, take Nevada Rt 169 at Crystal, south to the park. Traveling SW on I-15 turn south on Route 169 (Exit 93) and travel SE 15 miles to the park.
There are tours to the Valley of Fire leaving from Las Vegas. I didn't take one because we had rented a car, but I have included a link to a place that runs tours.
Throughout the park there are a few small trails that lead to some fenced off (to keep "souvenier" takers away) examples of petrified logs. They are very interesting to see, unfortunately i did not take a photo of any, this photo is from the American Southwest website.
More Reviews (3)
kazander's Related Pages
Valley of Fire State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Brief Stop Before Civilization: Valley of Fire"
- "Nevada's Finest State Park"
- "In a Word, SPECTACULAR"
- "Valley of Fire State Park"
- "Valley of Fire"
- "Sharrie's Valley of Fire Wilderness"
- "Valley of Fire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valley of Fire State Park
- Hotels in Valley of Fire State Park
- Transportation in Valley of Fire State Park
- Restaurants in Valley of Fire State Park
- Shopping in Valley of Fire State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Valley of Fire State Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Torre San Vito Hotels
- Karak Hotels
- Hermosa Beach
- Paulsboro Hotels
- Balaju Hotels
- San Pedro La Laguna
Badges & Stats in Valley of Fire State Park
- 10 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Valley of Fire State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valley of Fire State Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Selling Photographs"
- Commented on one of goingsolo's Valley of Fire State Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beehives and surrounding area"
- updated a Valley of Fire State Park Travel Page "Valley of Fire"
- Wrote a Review Red sand in Valley of Fire State Park Things to Do
Photos in Valley of Fire State ParkSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 61 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey Intro, 45 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 41 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acadia National Park Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Rico Intro, 21 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 24 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 28 reviews, 33 photos