"Valley of Fire" Top 5 Page for this destination Valley of Fire State Park by kazander

Valley of Fire State Park Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 324 photos

Gorgeous color and formations

Some History
The valley of Fire gets it's name from the beautiful red sandstone formations that date back to the age of the dinosaurs, some 150 million years ago.
Some former residents of the valley of Fire were the Anasazi Native Americans whose petroglyph examples you will see thoughout the park. Namely at Atlatl Rock and on the way to Mouse's Tank, which was a hideout for a renegade indian back in the 1890's.
There are camping facilities here as well as picnic areas and some great hiking trails. This is Nevada's oldest state park, it was dedicated in 1935.

Taking the drive out to Valley of Fire was probably my favorite thing that we did while visiting Las Vegas. It was a 115 degree day so we drove with the air conditioning on and popped out a did mini hikes,(bring plenty of water we went through 6 bottles).

I don't think I realized what a amazing place I was going to visit when I headed to Nevada. I had booked a trip to Vegas and wasn't entirely expecting the state to be so beautiful. What a wonderful surprise!

• Pros:Breathtaking views
  • Cons:Hot as hell
  • In a nutshell:an unforgettable experience
  • Last visit to Valley of Fire State Park: May 2002
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2004

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Thanks for the Things to do Tips, and nice photos. This sounds like the kind of place I would enjoy hanging around in for a few days.

• GuthrieColin's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Amy, Great work on this page. Looks like a place i should certainly visit.

• Oct 30, 2006 at 6:51 AM

i have purchases some of this pottery in 03 and 05 recieved a gift of the same from my sister. i'd like to, find out about the artist, where to get more pottery. can you help?

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 2:51 PM

Hi - excellent pictures and good tips ! Greetz Luc

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2005 at 9:20 AM

Amy, what an astounding introductory photo! Interesting, informative, and helpful all in one location. Thanks for a delightful tour with your personal insights.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2005 at 7:34 AM

This really is an amazing State Park, one that I had not heard of before! My wife and simply must get to Nevada and Utah to see some of these geological wonders. Thanks for the page!

• annk's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2005 at 7:51 AM

Another park I must add to my list :-). Spectacular scenery and gorgeous contrasts between the blue skies and red rocks.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 6:53 AM

I'm looking forward to visiting this place during an upcoming trip. Your page has lots of useful information and great photos. Well done. Thanks.

• frank_delargy's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 12:13 PM

We loved VoF.Your pix show it off well. Congrats on your engagement!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2004 at 2:04 PM

Fabulous! Really love that Elephant Rock!!

kazander

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair ~ Kahlil Gibran”

Badges & Stats in Valley of Fire State Park

Have you been to Valley of Fire State Park?

Latest Activity in Valley of Fire State Park