"Lost Dutchman" Lost Dutchman State Park by kazander

Lost Dutchman State Park Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 45 photos

The Legend...

Lost Dutchman State Park was actually named after a missing mine that belonged to a dutchman, not an actual missing person. After Jacob Waltz (the dutchman) died in 1891, many people went in search of his hidden gold mine, but none had any success. Some seekers were even met with "foul play" or even death. Adding more of the Superstition to this Superstition Mountain Range.

I spotted a picture of this State park in a travel brochure , and I had to come check it out for myself. I was not dissappointed. We were staying in Scottsdale which was only about an hour away. Our visit was in very early spring, when all of the california poppies were blooming, it was the perfect time to go. The hiking here is fairly easy. Unfortunately we didn't have time to do the most difficult trail, but we had a great time nontheless.

There are camping and picnic area in the park. Be sure to pick up a trail map at the visitor center

• Intro Updated Oct 18, 2005

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 8:43 AM

Intriguing, a lost Dutchman !!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Wonderfu., helpful information. My American Indiana Heritage attracts me to such locations. The Apache Trail looks especially alluring. You have vivid photos.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2006 at 8:41 PM

:-) Nice pictures - isn't it a wonderful region outr there ? Ah, never had been there in spring, but would love to see the desert in bloom one day !

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2006 at 10:21 AM

Oh my! Another place close to home that I have never hear of!!! Methinks I need a new map :) Thanks for your comments re: my bro ... I am so darn proud of him! Does it show? tee-hee

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2005 at 12:49 PM

Spectacular shots, Amy. Guess you're ready to bring out that camera again soon.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2005 at 7:59 AM

Another great Amy & Lou adventure!!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 1:39 PM

Nice photos of this interesting spot! I had heard about it but did not realize that it was so close to 'Apache Junction' when my wife and I drove past a few years ago!

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2004 at 8:03 AM

Another beautiful page Amy, So many wonderful places to visit, such little time!! q(~_~)p

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2004 at 11:56 AM

Did you play "track the scat" while you were here? And then, did you find out exactly what it was that pooped in the park?

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2004 at 8:02 AM

A great place to get 'lost' and add 'pruple' to the map!

kazander

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair ~ Kahlil Gibran”

Badges & Stats in Lost Dutchman State Park

Have you been to Lost Dutchman State Park?

Latest Activity in Lost Dutchman State Park