"Matmata" Top 5 Page for this destination Matmata by kazander

Matmata Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 262 photos

We wouldn't have seen as much of Matmata if it weren't for the 2 guys who showed us around. One of them was a fellow traveler, stopping for a few days in Matmata. He spoke English and was happy to show us around, no fee required, unlike the guys who will follow you around being no help and then ask you for money. This happened to us in Tozeur. Stay away from them. Now for the life of me, I can't remember where or when we met them, but it must have been as soon as we got there because we only stayed one day!

This is a photo looking down into the Berber museum they took us to visit. Everything in it is typical of a Berber home. These types of house are called troglodytes. The houses are vertically dug into the earth with cave-like rooms dug into the sides. These houses were made to protect against the brutally hot desert weather as well as the cold desert nights.

We also hiked up the biggest mountain in town!
This is also the town where a bunch of scenes for Star Wars were filmed. We stayed in the Hotel Sidi Driss which was the troglodyte the interior shots of Luke Skywalker's Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen's house were shot.

• Last visit to Matmata: Feb 2000
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2004

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Interesting about the trogdolyte homes. I was able to tour one in France a long time ago, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing what they're like in Tunisia!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 1:07 AM

Great page Amy! That hotel looks amazing. Thanks for the nice comment on my Yellowstone page - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 4:43 PM

Came looking for Cape Cod but found a dittie I'd not seen yet in its place. ;)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2005 at 11:40 AM

Amy, this fascinating. What an unusual place , and I love the hotel. Looks like a great place and your tips were quite helpful and most interesting.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2005 at 10:02 AM

Great hotel, i bet its lovely and cool in the summer.

• novsco61's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 6:43 AM

I was in Tunisia last November, but not on the land - on Djerba. I have to go back to visit Matmata. Nice page.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2005 at 11:27 AM

That hotel does look really interesting! More great adventures : ))

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2004 at 10:05 AM

Oh my the guys of Tunisia are giving all men of this world a bad name, we are going to have to do something, LOL. Well one nice guy helps you around anyway!!!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2004 at 7:43 PM

A good page on wonderful Tunisia ! Thank you for sharing !

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2004 at 10:48 AM

A very interesting page an the amazing customs that you came across here! Those underground houses and hotels are something else!

kazander

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair ~ Kahlil Gibran”

Badges & Stats in Matmata

Have you been to Matmata?

Latest Activity in Matmata