United Kingdom Transportation Tips by tvor
United Kingdom Transportation: 262 reviews and 163 photos
In recent years, a new bus (coach) service between major cities has appeared. Megabus. It offered online-only booking with trips between major centers for as little as a pound per person per one way journey up to about 3 pounds. There's a 50p booking fee per person as well. There are a few other coach services that have sprung up in other regions as well and the National Express, the national coach service has had to offer reduced rates in order to compete. The Megabusses are double decker and run several times a day and are more or less express busses, with only a rest stop or a stop at major city centres. The Megabus from Glasgow to London stops in Manchester, for instance.
You book online and print off the receipt with the booking number or you can get it sent to your mobile phone as a text but remember to save it. You show the booking number to the driver when you board. I've taken both Megabus and National Express and found both services just fine. One NE bus we were on had little tv screens and free headsets but not every vehicle has that. Both NE and Megabus had on board toilets for emergencies. The Megabus definitely took a rest stop but the NE doesn't always. I think that depends on the driver and how well he's keeping to the schedule.
Renting a car is going to be pricey because the cost of the gas/petrol is not cheap. If you feel adventurous, get a BritRail train pass. There are lots of options and types and prices and you can get first class and regular coach.
You can also get around by bus which may service areas that don't have train stations. Bus is often cheaper too but takes a bit longer sometimes.
If you don't go for the rail pass, you can buy tickets for both bus or train online and pick them up at the station and terminals. If you get them in advance more than 7 days you will probably get a better price as well. It might even be cheaper to do that then buying a rail pass if you know where you want to go and when.
Rail passes have to be bought outside the country so see your local travel agent of go online.
More Reviews (29)
- See All Rievaulx Abbey, Yorkshire
- See All Cathedrals
- See All Old Inn, Denton, Kent
- See All Cyber cafes
tvor's Related Pages
United Kingdom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Firas in Wonderland"
- "My U.K. - a home I love very dearly."
- "United Kingdom Adventure"
- "A Taste of Real Britain - Tourist Information"
- "UNITED KINGDOM"
- "Jet Ski!"
- "Christmas 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United Kingdom
- Hotels in United Kingdom
- Transportation in United Kingdom
- Nightlife in United Kingdom
- Restaurants in United Kingdom
- Shopping in United Kingdom
- Warnings and Dangers in United Kingdom
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cayo Jalova Hotels
- Phu Trung Hotels
- Sorrento Hotels
- Highgate Hotels
- Parry Sound
Badges & Stats in United Kingdom
- 301 Reviews
- 551 Photos
- 70 Forum posts
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to United Kingdom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United Kingdom
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: cheap throwaway mobiles in..."
- Wrote a Review Rievaulx Abbey, Yorkshire in United Kingdom Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rievaulx Abbey, Yorkshire"
- updated a United Kingdom Travel Page "Jolly Old"
- Commented on one of feline01's United Kingdom travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 107 reviews, 180 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 123 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 39 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 31 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quebec Intro, 11 reviews, 77 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 17 reviews, 54 photos
- Cape Breton Island Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (11)
Top United Kingdom hotels
- London Hotels
- 23062 Reviews - 47262 Photos
- Manchester Hotels
- 1714 Reviews - 3887 Photos
- York Hotels
- 1617 Reviews - 3908 Photos
- Blackpool Hotels
- 476 Reviews - 889 Photos
- Bournemouth Hotels
- 206 Reviews - 441 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1218 Reviews - 1967 Photos
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3356 Reviews - 6585 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 486 Reviews - 884 Photos
- Torquay Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 229 Photos
- Llandudno Hotels
- 245 Reviews - 476 Photos
- Eastbourne Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 187 Photos
- Birmingham Hotels
- 803 Reviews - 1309 Photos
- Bristol Hotels
- 745 Reviews - 1659 Photos
- Chester Hotels
- 470 Reviews - 1157 Photos
- Liverpool Hotels
- 1248 Reviews - 2164 Photos