"Tvor in New York" New York City by tvor
New York City Travel Guide: 15,853 reviews and 31,851 photos
Below you can read my impressions of New York City the first time I went there, in 1998. We've just got back from a four day visit (2013) and had a great time! We did a lot of sightseeing using tour busses and our feet. We bought many tickets and passes online including theatre tickets at a discount site. The weather was good and bad but more sun than rain. Trying to get out of Newark airport to go home was a pain in the bum and it doesn't half put you off traveling through the U.S. but we may go back again sometime.
I was in New Jersey on a course in August 1998 and took a couple of trips in to Manhattan on the bus.
Big, fast, crowded, and yes, dirty. Not too smoggy though and I didn’t see a lot of litter around. We didn’t look too closely at the unidentifiable puddles in the gutters when you know it hadn’t rained in some time! When I am asked what I thought of New York, my first answer is “Colourful”! I don’t just mean it’s inhabitants either. I mean there is a lot more colour than you would expect for a city consisting of so much concrete, steel and flesh! The streets are filled with endless streams of bright yellow cabs. There are big, bright billboards on and between buildings. There are brightly coloured advertisements in shop windows. There are flags and banners hanging from stores, museums and public buildings. Many people are dressed in bright colours and the sidewalks are dotted with news agents selling newspapers and magazines. And let’s not forget the frequent food vendors and fruit and vegetable markets with their bright canopies and umbrellas.
My second impression is the constant smell. Now, it’s not a bad smell. Well, not all the time. As you walk the streets, you are constantly walking in and out of one smell after another...perfume from people or stores, garbage, diesel fuel from busses and subway vents, food cooking, people, freshly cut grass, the scent of a flower bed and car exhaust.
The pace of the city is so much faster than I am used to, too and you find yourself speeding up to keep up! Not too many cars use signal lights... the car horn seems to be the weapon of choice but traffic lights seem to be more than just a suggestion. You will see a few cars run the red when it first turns but then, generally, the cars hold back and let the cross traffic take their turn. I took two taxis and both drivers quickly but competently dodged traffic and safely manoeuvered the lanes. I had heard horror stories about taxi drivers but I guess I got lucky. They were both ok. I decided not to brave the subway this trip as it seemed too intimidating to try to figure out how to get where I wanted to go and stay alert, minding all the cautions I had been told and had read about.
We went up the Empire State Building at dusk, walked back to the Port Authority terminal, crossing 7th Avenue a block below Times Square, blazing with lights! I loved the Met museum and did a little look around on a hot Saturday afternoon. Would i go back? Maybe.
- Pros:exciting, fast paced, lots to do and see, flat and walkable, good subway system
- Cons:very large, intimidating, expensive.
- In a nutshell:Wall to wall concrete, steel and flesh. bright, brash, loud, exciting
New York is reknowned for it's theatre scene. Everyone's heard of Broadway, the Great White Way, though it's got a lot... more travel advice
The Intrepid was an aircraft carrier commissioned in 1943 and it served the military for nearly 40 years. Since 1982... more travel advice
tvor's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 17 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Paddington Hotel"
- Commented on one of tvor's New York City travel pages
- Wrote a Review Theatre is a must-do about Theatre District - Broadway Shows in New York City Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "On Location Movie and TV tours New York"
- updated a New York City Travel Page "Tvor in New York"
- Commented on the New York City Things to Do travel guide
Top 10 Pages
- Portland 1 review, 16777215 photos
- London Intro, 112 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 126 reviews, 155 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 48 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 40 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 31 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quebec Intro, 11 reviews, 77 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 17 reviews, 54 photos