"Farewell to Nova Scotia, your sea bound coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia by tvor
Province of Nova Scotia Travel Guide: 2,313 reviews and 6,346 photos
That is Gaelic for 100,000 Welcomes. Gaelic? Well Nova Scotia is Latin for New Scotland and there are still a few Gaelic speakers in the highlands of Cape Breton Island and our phone books generally have more MacDonald's than Smith's. While NS was founded by the French and fought over, and subsequently taken by the English, we have a very strong Scottish heritage as well. Many Scots arrived here after the Highland Clearances in the late 18th C. It's not uncommon to see a man in a kilt at fancy dress occaisions or just walking along the street. It's not that everyone dons the plaid, just that you *will* see it on the street from time to time.
If i get a lot of tips on one place in particular i will move them to a page of their own. In the meantime, the page will contain tips from a variety of destinations around the province.
Nova Scotia is a small province off the east coast of Canada, hanging on to the rest of the country by a thin isthmus of land. Although mainly rural , NS has a few bustling towns, a busy provincial capital and over a dozen universities.
We have miles and miles of sea coast, with the most beautiful sandy beaches. We have valleys and highlands, spectacular views and friendly residents. Halifax Regional Municipality, the capital of the province, is large enough to have lots to do but small enough to have a bit of that "small town" feel still.
Nova Scotians are called "Bluenosers", there are several theories why but then there's the famous schooner. The Bluenose I was a fishing schooner in the 20's and 30's and won it's claim to fame in races. She never lost one. In the early 60's a local brewery built a replica, the Bluenose II and she's still afloat, a tourism ambassador gracing waters all over the world.
oh yes, FYI, The title of the page is the first line from the folk song, Farewell to Nova Scotia, and it's about sailors leaving their home land. Very appropriate considering all the coast line here, the naval and military history.
You may say farewell.... But you'll always want to return.
- Pros:Friendly people, slower pace of life, lots to do indoors and outdoors
- Cons:A bit remote, gas prices are a bit high
- In a nutshell:A little piece of heaven
We went for a drive on a Sunday afternoon towards the south of Nova Scotia. We drove around the Aspotogan peninula... more travel advice
The Queen Anne Inn, in Annapolis Royal, is a mid Victorian mansion that has been an Inn for most of it's life. The rooms... more travel advice
tvor's Related Pages
Province of Nova Scotia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From the old country to the new."
- "Farewell to Nova Scotia, your sea bound coast"
- "beautiful Nova Scotia"
- "GOTTA LOVE NOVA SCOTIA"
- "Nova Scotia Bound!"
- "Blue Rocks"
- "Nova Scotia "land by the Sea ""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Nova Scotia
- Hotels in Province of Nova Scotia
- Transportation in Province of Nova Scotia
- Nightlife in Province of Nova Scotia
- Restaurants in Province of Nova Scotia
- Shopping in Province of Nova Scotia
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Nova Scotia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Nova Scotia
- 178 Reviews
- 263 Photos
- 48 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Province of Nova Scotia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Nova Scotia
Photos in Province of Nova ScotiaSee All Photos (263)
Top 10 Pages
- Portland 1 review, 16777215 photos
- London Intro, 112 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 126 reviews, 155 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 48 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 40 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 31 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quebec Intro, 11 reviews, 77 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 17 reviews, 54 photos