"Come to The Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Edward Island by tvor
Prince Edward Island Travel Guide: 401 reviews and 839 photos
Prince Edward Island is Canada's smallest province. It's a tiny spit of land in the Gulf of St. Lawrence off the east coast of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. For a small island, they have a big tourist draw. Miles and miles of sandy beaches surrounded by the red soil, the "bright red mud" sung of by Stompin Tom Connors. Dozens of green manicured golf courses. PEI, or "The Island" as we call it here on the east coast, is a great destination for everyone. Lots of family activities, great lobster suppers, fantastic rural and coastal scenery. And then there's this fictional red haired girl called Anne!
Historically, PEI is very important to Canada. In 1867 in the capital city of Charlottetown, Canada was ratified as an independent country by the "fathers of Confederation" though we still remain part of the British Commonwealth. Oddly enough, the province did not join Canada at that time and remained a British colony until 1873.
Charlottetown is historic yet modern, with great shopping and theatre and plenty to do. Summerside and Montague are PEI's other two larger urban areas and worth a visit. This province is mostly rural with it's main cash crop being potatoes. Tourism is the other main draw, for families, golfers, campers and people keen for rural views, seacoast beaches and lots of craft and antique shops dotting the roads.
PEI has many attractions, but most of them are only open seasonally from spring to fall. The main roads are in fairly good condition though some of the side roads are patchy. Some of the culinary specialties include lobster and oysters. It's a great place for bird watching and eco tourism. You can also take a ferry to the Iles de Madeleine (or Magdellen Islands) off the east coast, accessible by car ferry from Souris.
- Pros:scenery, beaches, golf, lobster
- Cons:can't think of anything!
- In a nutshell:A great place for a getaway
Clam Diggers is a new restaurant (2008). It's located in the east coast town of Georgetown, Prince Edward Island and is... more travel advice
The world loves Anne of Green Gables. There really is a house on Prince Edward Island called Green Gables. It's a... more travel advice
tvor's Related Pages
Prince Edward Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Prince Edward Island"
- "Birthplace of Confederation"
- "Come to The Island"
- "Land of the Red Sand"
- "P.E.I. - Canada's beauty"
- "A walk on the beach on Prince Edward Island"
- "The rural charm of PEI."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prince Edward Island
- Hotels in Prince Edward Island
- Transportation in Prince Edward Island
- Nightlife in Prince Edward Island
- Restaurants in Prince Edward Island
- Shopping in Prince Edward Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Prince Edward Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prince Edward Island
- 10 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Prince Edward Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prince Edward Island
- updated a Prince Edward Island Travel Page "Come to The Island"
- Posted in Travel Manchester Forum "Re: Manchester in May wardrobe"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beach Glass and Sandstone"
- Wrote a Review Amazing food, amazing view in Prince Edward Island Restaurants
- Commented on one of sim1's Prince Edward Island travel pages
Photos in Prince Edward IslandSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Portland 1 review, 16777215 photos
- London Intro, 112 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 123 reviews, 161 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 39 reviews, 81 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 40 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quebec Intro, 11 reviews, 77 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 29 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 17 reviews, 54 photos