"Wells, Second smallest city in England" Wells by tvor
Wells Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 316 photos
The city of Wells, in the county of Somerset, is one of the smallest cities in England. The only smaller is the City of London. Any place that has a cathedral can have city status awarded and Wells certainly has one of those. It's one of the most beautiful cathedrals in the country both outside and inside.
Wells is an old city, too. It's had city status since 1205 and was an important settlement up to 500 years before that when the first minster church was founded in 705. It is in a pretty spot of Somerset, surrounded by the Mendip hills and close to Cheddar Gorge. It's a lovely spot as a base for touring in the area, as it's close to Bath, Glastonbury, Bristol and not that far from Salisbury and Stonehenge.
We only visited Wells briefly, as an overnight stop en route to Cornwall so we really didn't get to see as much of it as we would have liked. We arrived in the mid afternoon, just enough time to check in to our B&B, see the Cathedral and walk around looking at the lovely old buildings. We opted to stay just outside of the city rather than in the city centre, mainly because we could get a much nicer and larger room for our money along with free parking and quiet surroundings. Staying in the city has advantages but as all the shops and museums are closed by 5 or 6, there isn't much to do anyway except walk around.
Wells is definitely worth a stop and a day touring around the various things to do. Our visit was hurried but we did get to see a bit of it.
- Pros:small, lots of old architecture
- Cons:not much to do at night
- In a nutshell:Historic city worth a visit
Vicar's Close is found to the north side of the Cathedral and is, or claims to be the oldest residential street in... more travel advice
There has been a church or cathedral on this spot since 705 when a minster church was founded here. The present... more travel advice
tvor's Related Pages
Wells Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Well, well, well, Wells"
- "Tiny, ancient city....."
- "Beautiful Wells - England's smallest city."
- "Wells - England's smallest city"
- "England's smallest city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wells
- Hotels in Wells
- Transportation in Wells
- Restaurants in Wells
- Shopping in Wells
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wells
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Wells?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wells
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 107 reviews, 180 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 126 reviews, 150 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 40 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 31 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quebec Intro, 11 reviews, 77 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 17 reviews, 54 photos
- Cape Breton Island Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue