"The Imperial City" Petrópolis by Alless
Petrópolis Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 270 photos
This is the gate of city ,
there, on the right you can find the touristc center with informations
High in the hills behind Rio there are a tiny town where the Brazilian Imperial Family once spent its summers.The former Petropolis Imperial City, located at the "Orgãos" Mountain, is only one hour from Rio de Janeiro. A short trip to the mountains, sub-tropical vegetation by the wayside. Arrival in Petropolis, a typical small town with streets paved with cobblestones, horses-drawn buggies no different from those in use at the turn of the century. A visit to the old cathedral and to the Summer Palace of Dom Pedro II, Brazil's last emperor. The palace is now a museum, housing a beautiful collection of the crown jewels, furniture, pintings and tapestries from the days of the Empire. A half day tour – 5 hours
With its refreshing mountain climate and magnificent views, Petrópolis at an altitude of 809 meters above sea level, is just 53 kilometers from Rio along a modern highway. Its attractions include the Imperial Museum, once the Summer Palace of Brazil's Emperors, during the 19thCentury.
whose collections feature the Crown and Scepter of Brazil's last Emperor, Pedro II, as well as documents, jewels and works of art that once belonged to the Imperial Family (including the famous Imperial Crown ). Perfect for a day trip, visitors eager to enjoy this mountain climate and explore the Itaipava gastronomy center can stay overnight at its many picturesque inns.
During your stay in Petropolis, you can also visit the Crystal Palace, the Sao Pedro de Alcantara Neo Gothic Cathedral and the house of Santos-Dumont. Alberto Santos-Dumont, a turn-of-the-20th-century Brazilian aviator... ( the inventor of the airplane )
Well,I have a special reason to do this page .Petropolis is where my relatives from my Father side come and of course for me is a big pleasure talk about Petropolis and do a kind of virtualtravel to this destination , famous for its history and culture. So, Lets go...
Located surrounded Quintadinha Lake ,this Modern Arquitecture Style House, was built in 50' years by its proprietary... more travel advice
Located in the city entrance, Casa do Alemão , one house with german architecture style,you can find delicious german... more travel advice
Alless' Related Pages
Petrópolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petrópolis Cidade Imperial"
- "Petropolis - Imperial City"
- "b1bob's excellent Petropolis adventures"
- "Imperial history..."
- "Petropolis: The Imperial City"
- "Mangueirense's Petropolis Page"
- "Petropolis - the Imperial City just 53 km from Rio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petrópolis
- Hotels in Petrópolis
- Transportation in Petrópolis
- Restaurants in Petrópolis
- Shopping in Petrópolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Petrópolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petrópolis
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Petrópolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petrópolis
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 64 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Alegre Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brazil Intro, 36 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natal Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fortaleza Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gramado Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bùzios 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Santos Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Petrópolis Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Punta del Este Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos