"Namibia, an unknown yet unique African gem" Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia by 850prc

Namibia Travel Guide: 2,150 reviews and 6,270 photos

Full of natural beauty and majesty

Many people believe Namibia to be a barren and empty land. But, to appreciate the art that is Namibia's landscapes requires many canvasses. This is a country that cannot be described simply.

It is, however, a land that is going to become more known to the traveling public in the next few years. I'm glad to be one of the earlier converts to the Namibia fan club. We were there before Brad Pitt and Angelie Jolie...and their entourage...discovered it. :)

Fun and GAME.

When people think of viewing game in Africa, they tend to first glance at Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana and South Africa.

But, there are no shortages of viewable game in Namibia, especially in the area of the Etosha National Park. Namibia is one of the countries in Africa where one could log the "big five" as a big game spotter.

Pleasure

The hospitality in Namibia is truly outstanding. The people seem to very much enjoy welcoming visitors to their newly-independent homeland. The locals go out of their way to be helpful and friendly.

And, whenever you thank them for something, they smile broadly and say "pleasure", in that pleasing accent of English found in southern Africa. And, when they say it, you truly believe that they found your visit and interaction to have been a pleasure.

The welcome mat sure seems to be out at Namibia's doorstep.

And a note..... please see my specific tip regarding the Ombili school. (their choir is in the picture accompanying this text) We really enjoyed our visit, and felt that the Ombili project was providing needed assistance to the San people(s) as they navigate into the 21st century. AND... if any of you would like to HEAR this choir, write to me and I'll send you a short .wma file of them singing. Please promise that you'll send a small donation to help the school. (see the tip for an address)

• Pros:Beautiful scenery, beautiful animals, and even more beautiful people welcome you to Namibia
  • Cons:OK, it IS dry. Make sure you stay hydrated!
  • In a nutshell:UNique and UNdiscovered, at least for now. Enjoy it soon!
  • Last visit to Namibia: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 29, 2007

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2010 at 11:31 PM

this is one of my still dream destinations. Thanks for the very detailed description.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 3:13 AM

Hey Old Friend, I had to pop into this page again to remember your trip.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Came back for another visit to your page, you have some excellent tips and I love the humor you put into it. Off to Namibia in July, cannot wait ;-)

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Great pages. We stayed at Ongava camp too last year and loved it. Have to say I'd rather stand my ground against a gorilla than an angry African ellie!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I enjoyed the pages the first time thorugh but missed a few of the other good tips. didn't this time. thanks.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 6:02 AM

The last time I was in Namibia was 38 years ago when I lived there, in a little town down south called Oranjemund. I schooled in Windhoek and it has changed a lot since then.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM

love going through your namibia tips and pics, specially the elephant herd...coool. Norman :)

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2008 at 9:19 AM

A Bushman TV? - sounds like my cup of tea. Thanks for a fantastic page on Namibia - my future destination.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Hi pete. Thanks for stopping by my Namibia and Windhoek pages a few weeks ago. I did indeed eat at Joes and have now told the story. I have also done some work on the pages as well. Your tips are fantastic.

• Feb 25, 2008 at 6:50 PM

ohhh this is such a fantastic page pete! your info is just awesome, and great photos too of course. another place to add to the list of must sees!

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Namibia

Have you been to Namibia?