"Cancun.....went there WAYYY before Virtual Tourist" Cancún by 850prc

Cancún Travel Guide: 1,959 reviews and 3,926 photos

Our first overseas trip together

In June of 1982, Bonnie and I scraped together our limited financial resources and threw caution to the wind. We drove to Miami and then flew on down to Cancun, the Mexican beach resort in underpopulated Quintiana Roo state.

We had a wonderful time basically doing nothing. The sun was bright, the hospitality great. And we had the time of our young lives together.

The future included numerous journeys to (so far) four of the world's continents. But in June of 1982, we joined the international jet set in Cancun.

Pirate Pete on the Bridge, Cancun

As this VT page title implies, our trip to Cancun was taken wayyyy before the days of VT. In fact, I think film had just been invented.

So, this page serves only one purpose....well actually two.

(1) Proves that I've been to Cancun

(2) Shows the world what I looked like with a beard.

Proving that I took Bonnie, too

This trip actually represented Bonnie's first-ever time on an airplane. If you visit my other pages, you'll see that we've continued her aerial adventures throughout our marriage. :)

• Pros:Warm sunshine, friendly locals, plentiful and cheap lobster and beer
  • Cons:Other than the above, not a helluva lot else to do.
  • In a nutshell:A nice Caribbean adventure that can be done cheaply from the US
  • Last visit to Cancún: Jun 1982
  • Intro Updated Apr 8, 2008

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM

What a great page for making me remember our own first trip abroad after we were married. What a terrific time in a young couples' life when anything and everything seemed possible.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Wow, youre having another birthday!hope youre having a great day and all the best for many years ahead of them than how many since that photo above!!Regards.

• Arial_27's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Hey Pete thanks for the comment on my Germany page! Its nice to see Cancun in the 80s.. I'm headed to Mexico City tomorrow to study for a semester. It should be a great learning experience. I hope all is well with you. How old are your kids now? Take care

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2004 at 9:55 PM

WOOW, that picture of the 2 of you almost-newly-married is amazing! Unfortunately, those CHEAP times at Cancun are GONE! And, still, there isn't much to do if you aren't a party animal - the best is outside Cancun!

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2004 at 3:56 PM

I bet you'd be surprised to see the changes in Cancun today, you and your young bride look very happy!

• erikatheskysailor's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2004 at 7:16 PM

{laugh} I wonder who that certain someone is, hmm? :) That's a very pirate-like beard, Mr. Manson. :D (I'm teasing!!) That invisible meal looks delicious, too. :p

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2004 at 2:26 AM

Cancun certainly must have been a lot different in those days! Still, it does not look like you were suffering too badly!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2004 at 8:45 PM

This looks right out of Pirates of the Caribbean. And who's that on the bridge? Could it be Johnny Depp (but with a full beard)?

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Cancún