"An "old time" place on the Fundy Coast" Joggins by 850prc
Joggins Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 12 photos
The small town of Joggins in Nova Scotia is all about fossils. There are 150 foot sandstone cliffs at the water's edge, and at low tides, you can literally see and find coal-age fossils embedded in the hardened sediment.
There is an official Joggins Fossil Center where you can see presentations on the fossils and prehistory of the area, along with various (pre)historical items that others have found. But, the real fun is to go out and look for fossil records on your own. And, this is not one of those "you can pan for gold" things that you're familiar with. You actually have an excellent chance of coming across something of interest during your exploration.
Please see my separate Joggins Fossil Center tip for phone numbers and such.
The beaches and cliffs are yours to enjoy for FREE. So, give it a good look and see what you come up with.
DO, however, keep an eye on the tides. These are Fundy Bay tides, among the highest in the world. During high tide, almost all of the beach territory you see in this photo are underwater. You do not want to be caught on the beach when the tide comes in, unless you're in the mood to "go Spiderman" and climb the rock cliffs.
- Pros:Fossil hunting is best when you have a good chance of finding one. :)
- Cons:Unless you're a champion swimmer or Spiderman, be OFF those beaches and up at the Fossil Center building before high tide gets back in....and it comes in FAST.
- In a nutshell:If prehistory is your bag, it's worth the stop as you tour the Fundy coast.
Actually, you do have a choice.... you can be mindful of the tides at Joggins, OR you can > learn to fly and/or >... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Joggins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An "old time" place on the Fundy Coast"
- "Joggins Fossil Cliffs - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Joggins
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Joggins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Joggins
Photos in JogginsSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues