"Here's the REAL Chocolate City" Saint Stephen by 850prc
Saint Stephen Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 12 photos
The small Canadian city of St. Stephen, located at the confluence of the St. Croix River and Passamaquoddy Bay and just across the US Border from Maine, claims to be the birthplace of the chocolate bar. Now, I haven't had the time to fully research that declaration - perhaps that would be a good retirement project - but the folks in St. Stephen, New Brunswick are ALL about candy bars and all things chocolate. They even have a Chocolate Museum. (The town website is trumpeting a recent $900,000 expansion of said museum - that's a lot of chocolate bars, folks). As you can surmise, chocolate is more than kid's stuff in St. Stephen.
But speaking of you kiddies out there, this might be THE best town ever for Halloween trick or treating. :)
The town itself shares a border, history and an affection for "Dame Chocolate" with her neighbors over in Calais, Maine. And, this border crossing is one of the main points of embarcation for travellers moving between the US and Canada.
If you have googled "Chocolate City" thinking that you'd be directed to information about New Orleans, Louisiana, then hopefully you've found a new definition and location for the true chocolate city. When New Orleans' idiot mayor (Ray Nagim) declared his city to be a "chocolate city", it was simple racist political demagoguery driving the proclamation, not top-quality dark chocolate bon bons.
- Pros:Whether you are entering or leaving Canada, you've found yourself in a town that celebrates chocolate.
- Cons:If you're watching your weight, you've found yourself in a town that celebrates chocolate.
- In a nutshell:A friendly place that celebrates chocolate. What more can you say?
I am fully aware of the changes in US border crossings and security since 9/11. I've been in and out of the country... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Saint Stephen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Here's the REAL Chocolate City"
- "St Stephens is the borader crossing"
- "Saint Stephen"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Stephen
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Saint Stephen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Stephen
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ganong Chocolates/Chocolate Discovery Center"
- Wrote a Review THE US BORDER. Be Prepared for the 3rd Degree. in Saint Stephen Warnings and Dangers
- updated a Saint Stephen Travel Page "Here's the REAL Chocolate City"
Photos in Saint StephenSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues