"They prefer "Victoria-by-the-Sea"" Victoria by 850prc

Victoria Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 45 photos

A perfect choice, kudos to me. :)

When we decided to visit the Canadian maritime provinces, it was decided to stay in rural bed & breakfasts, so that we could really get the feel of the territory. We figured that we'd pick places to stay for a few days, and then would make "day trips" in all directions.

As we prepared for Prince Edward Island, I only had one real plan... we weren't going to stay IN Charlottetown. We wanted to be out in the country, so to speak. I was faced with scads of villages and towns, especially as I seached through B&Bs on the CanadaBB site. There was just "something" about the village of Victoria, over on the Northumberland (western) coast of PEI. Upon reading more in travel guides, I learned that Victoria residents preferred calling their burg "Victoria-by-the-Sea", which to me had a gentle tranquility that just sounded right. Upon further investigation, I learned that most of the shops in town are owned and run by locals, folks who LIVE in Victoria. Additionally, this place was so small that there are only two places TO stay in Victoria. One of them was a small hotel that had been in business for darn-near 100 years. Additionally, I learned this tiny hamlet is home to the longest-running community theater troupe in Canada. More and more, Victoria sounded like our kind of place.

And, I couldn't have been more right.

This tiny village is an intensely welcoming and human paradise, literally a place that makes you feel like a local on your first short walk around town. These gentle folks prefer to call their village "Victoria-by-the-Sea". And quite honestly, nothing could be a more perfect name.

Boats, not ships

I generally am not a fan of harbors. Larger harbors have an industrial feel to them, and often they tend to attract a bit of a rough-neck crowd, especially after dark. OR, they may have been "revitalized" and turned into trendy-land, with mega-over-priced restaurants and shops. Those tend to be interesting, but not quite "real".

Victoria's little harbor is for boats, not ships. This is a place where the locals come and go, fishing trips and very small commercial fisherman's operations. Basically, it's go out and make a catch, bring it back in and then sell it to the locals. Victoria is just a tiny little seaside village, and this is its charming little harbor.

There are a couple of shops out at the harbor - pretty low-key operations. There used to be a lobster place in business, but the town locals "shared" as how it isn't reliably open due to its owner being a bit of an alcoholic.

See?? I told you that you'd be a local in a very short period of time. :)

Take a look at the village's little website for more information:

• Pros:The sort of place where you feel comfortable instantly. Intensely personal and charming. And... there is only one road into/out of Victoria. Nicely secluded.
  • Cons:I suppose that one would need a very good parka come winter.
  • In a nutshell:My wife said to me... "gee, real estate prices are reasonable here, this would be a great place for a summer home". The fact that she was already looking will sum up how quickly we fell in love with Victoria.
  • Last visit to Victoria: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

What a wonderful page you have here, one that has made feel like I have been there already. Wished I had! All those chocolates, art studio, pretty harbour, the cute lighthouse, beaut accommodation, flowers and picket fences, the list goes on! Perhaps one day, I may make it here, sure would like to!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Might be a little quiet for me for a long stay, but the bookshop and the food at the Village Inn could certainly tempt me to visit for a few days at least, and Monica looks so cute I might just linger a while ;-)

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 4:51 PM

A lttle wine gladdens the heart ;)

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 5:10 AM

Wonderful Victoria travel page complete with excellent photographs and great travel tips especially on restaurants and shopping. The lighthouse and the harbour simply look stunning. Thanks for the virtual tour. ~ho & pang

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Hi Pete, what a nice surprise to hear from you! Looks like you found a real gem here in Victoria-by-the-sea, complete with a local theater company and a quirky bookshop. I like your enthusiastic descriptions of the Victoria Village B&B.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Well, Pete, I took you at your word and started with Victoria. I can see why you fell in love with this delightful small town. quaint, private, authentic, and comfortable come to mind to describe it. Your descriptions were marvelous...loved MONICA.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2009 at 6:42 AM

this is my start on your atlantic provinces pages. very nice detailed tips on this town. i learned a lot from your tip making style. i thought i was personally visiting hotels, restaurants and shops. very educating.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I also felt instantly comfotable when we went to Victoria - riding ferry - and the houses there are awesome...Norman :)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 6:13 AM

Hi Pete! Looks like this is going to be a good one. Be sure to send me a link~

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I trust you that all these places are fantastic. So I gave you high fives - no need to email me when you're done - you know I'm gonna be stalking you anyway. :)

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Victoria

Have you been to Victoria?

Latest Activity in Victoria