"They prefer "Victoria-by-the-Sea"" Victoria by 850prc
Victoria Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 45 photos
When we decided to visit the Canadian maritime provinces, it was decided to stay in rural bed & breakfasts, so that we could really get the feel of the territory. We figured that we'd pick places to stay for a few days, and then would make "day trips" in all directions.
As we prepared for Prince Edward Island, I only had one real plan... we weren't going to stay IN Charlottetown. We wanted to be out in the country, so to speak. I was faced with scads of villages and towns, especially as I seached through B&Bs on the CanadaBB site. There was just "something" about the village of Victoria, over on the Northumberland (western) coast of PEI. Upon reading more in travel guides, I learned that Victoria residents preferred calling their burg "Victoria-by-the-Sea", which to me had a gentle tranquility that just sounded right. Upon further investigation, I learned that most of the shops in town are owned and run by locals, folks who LIVE in Victoria. Additionally, this place was so small that there are only two places TO stay in Victoria. One of them was a small hotel that had been in business for darn-near 100 years. Additionally, I learned this tiny hamlet is home to the longest-running community theater troupe in Canada. More and more, Victoria sounded like our kind of place.
And, I couldn't have been more right.
This tiny village is an intensely welcoming and human paradise, literally a place that makes you feel like a local on your first short walk around town. These gentle folks prefer to call their village "Victoria-by-the-Sea". And quite honestly, nothing could be a more perfect name.
I generally am not a fan of harbors. Larger harbors have an industrial feel to them, and often they tend to attract a bit of a rough-neck crowd, especially after dark. OR, they may have been "revitalized" and turned into trendy-land, with mega-over-priced restaurants and shops. Those tend to be interesting, but not quite "real".
Victoria's little harbor is for boats, not ships. This is a place where the locals come and go, fishing trips and very small commercial fisherman's operations. Basically, it's go out and make a catch, bring it back in and then sell it to the locals. Victoria is just a tiny little seaside village, and this is its charming little harbor.
There are a couple of shops out at the harbor - pretty low-key operations. There used to be a lobster place in business, but the town locals "shared" as how it isn't reliably open due to its owner being a bit of an alcoholic.
See?? I told you that you'd be a local in a very short period of time. :)
Take a look at the village's little website for more information:
- Pros:The sort of place where you feel comfortable instantly. Intensely personal and charming. And... there is only one road into/out of Victoria. Nicely secluded.
- Cons:I suppose that one would need a very good parka come winter.
- In a nutshell:My wife said to me... "gee, real estate prices are reasonable here, this would be a great place for a summer home". The fact that she was already looking will sum up how quickly we fell in love with Victoria.
Victoria’s Glass studio is operated by a mother and daughter artist team. In addition to creating works of art, there is... more travel advice
Victoria's "harbor" is more of a simple community dock. There are spaces for maybe three or four boats, and a few shops... more travel advice
- The local "great white way"
- Footpower is the best and most relaxing...
- See All Dangerous Local Animals , The Newfies
850prc's Related Pages
Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "They prefer "Victoria-by-the-Sea""
- "Is there anywhere to buy coffee except Star___ks?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Victoria
- Hotels in Victoria
- Transportation in Victoria
- Nightlife in Victoria
- Restaurants in Victoria
- Shopping in Victoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Victoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Victoria
- 16 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Victoria
Photos in VictoriaSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues