"Uncrowded Family Skiing in Red River, New Mexico" Red River by 850prc

Red River Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 44 photos

Gentle snowy refuge just north of Taos

A Rocky Mountain ski resort conjures up many images in your mind. There are hot spas, clubs, fancy hotels, rich people, "apres ski" activities to boggle the mind, and sky-high prices.

Red River is none of these things. It's just a simple little western village a couple of hours north of Albuquerque. This is a place where you can get a decent family condo for a price that won't break the family piggy bank. You'll find steak houses where you're expected to pitch appetizer peanut shells onto the floor.

OK, this ain't Vail or Crested Butte, folks. But, the snow is good, the lift lines are blessedly short, and the little things such as ski schools and rental facilities are fine. It's a good place to take your family for a ski vacation.

Family Style

I've harped Red River as THE place to take your family for a quiet ski trip. So, here is MY family, enjoying an afternoon in this western ski village, in the foothills of the New Mexican Rocky Mountains.

• Pros:Decent skiing, good condos, reasonable prices
  • Cons:If you're looking to party, go elsewhere.
  • In a nutshell:You may break a leg, but you won't break your piggy bank
  • Last visit to Red River: Jan 1997
  • Intro Updated May 13, 2003

• lisa85202's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Very cool to see you are one of the top writers in this little town! I'm looking at visiting the area in a couple of weeks. Can't decide whether to camp or get a room...I want to save money with camping, but brrrr. it still gets down to the 40's at night!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM

It's good to know that you can still break your leg on the cheap ;~)

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I have not gone skiing and I guess I won't. I need my tibia in good shape for the coming years...

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 10:55 AM

We're headed to New Mexico in a week or so...we won't be skiing, but sightseeing. I hope it's not too cold in the Santa Fe area...regards from Texas

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2005 at 4:44 PM

Yup, I'd take a short lift line over the rich "apres-ski" life any day : )

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2004 at 6:33 PM

Thanks for reminding me that I may have aged a little since my last ski trip.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2004 at 8:39 PM

So, no rich people, but what about randy ski hunks? Sometimes they are in Vermont. But sometimes might they be here, too.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2004 at 2:52 AM

Some great tips on your nice little page here! Hope that you have a fun day today on your birthday!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2004 at 8:14 AM

Although I do not ski, I appreciate the warnings you gave and valuable tips. The hotel looks lovely. Thanks.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2004 at 6:34 AM

Nice place for skiing. Thanks for sharing.

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Red River

Have you been to Red River?