"TVC...as American as CHERRY Pie" Top 5 Page for this destination Traverse City by 850prc
Traverse City Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 256 photos
Ask any American what "small town America" means, and you'll get varying descriptions of the same thing. It's a town with young and old, rich and poor, with people of varied interests, backgrounds and careers. What makes small town America special is the community sense that's present. Small town America isn't a place lined with high-rise apartments and palatial mansions. For the most part, we're talking more of quiet towns, gracefully aging and yet still living neighborhoods...places that look to the future and yet revere the past. It's those tree-lined streets and the security in living somewhere that people know and like their neighbors.
Back in grade school, one of my first "readers" was "UP CHERRY STREET". When I read those first stories of John and Mary, Puff the cat, etc., I always imagined a town like Traverse City. A place with seasons, a place with an identity and character.
And what makes America so special is that such towns are not only in the imaginations of young readers...they're all across the country. Every hometown is special in its own way, every hometown has its claims to fame and pride. In Traverse City, much is made of its status as "cherry capital of the world".
But what really matters in why we value small town America is that it's such a welcoming place to call home...be it in Florida, Michigan, or even California.
The accompanying photo shows the old town opera house. This building has now been converted to downtown shops and offices, but it points out an important side of Traverse City. From its days as a timber capital to the present-day Great Lakes vacation village, TVC has always been a place where people appreciate and enjoy the good life.
This is a town of arts, fine dining and a highly-educated, sophesticated populace. There is a lot to make the savvy traveller happy on a visit to this part of the world.
As mentioned, Traverse City considers itself the "cherry capital of the world". Part of this emphasis on cherries is a general rebirth of the cherry industry over the past 30 years. For much time in the past, TVC was a major logging area, the land of timber. The timber barons built many of the classic Victorian homes in old TVC. But, as that era ended, the sawmills closed and moved westward. Cherry orchards had also been part of the northern Michigan landscape, and had, during the latter part of the timber boom, been ignored.
Later in the 20th century, concerned northern Michiganders, wishing to avoid the condomineum takeover of their homeland, again turned to the cherry orchards as a source of income and regional pride.
Today, the TVC are exports well over half of the cherry products sold in the USA. And for the most part, many of the cherry product dealers are very civic minded individuals looking to promote and preserve the gentle lifestyle of TVC's past.
- Pros:The best of small town, middle America.
- Cons:It IS northern Michigan. Bring your warm clothes.
- In a nutshell:Traverse City is "the good life" in northern Michigan. Check it out.
Perhaps THE culinary events of the year in Traverse City is the annual "Epicurean Classic", held annually in... more travel advice
As mentioned in my introduction, Traverse City is centered in a major cherry growing and exporting area. The rebirth of... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Traverse City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Traverse City Michigan and the Region Around It"
- "TVC...as American as CHERRY Pie"
- "Home, Sweet Home"
- "asturnut's new Traverse City Page"
- "Northwestern Lower Michigan"
- "Traverse city"
- "Get out of town and see the countryside"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Traverse City
- Hotels in Traverse City
- Transportation in Traverse City
- Restaurants in Traverse City
- Shopping in Traverse City
- Warnings and Dangers in Traverse City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Traverse City
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Traverse City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Traverse City
Photos in Traverse CitySee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues