"Bar Harbor, up on the far northern coast" Bar Harbor by 850prc
Bar Harbor Travel Guide: 216 reviews and 544 photos
The state of Maine has a long and beautiful seacoast on the Atlantic. Majestic forests, rocky precipices, sandy beaches, lighthouses and a collection of coastal towns and villages are incredibly attractive to tourists throughout the warmer months. Bar Harbor is the northernmost "city" that one finds on the Maine coast.
Bar Harbor is a pleasant enough place. Sure, there is zero doubt that tourism is the industry here. I'm sure things pretty much shut down come about mid-October. But tourist town or not, I think you'll enjoy a day or an afternoon wandering around its shops, streets and eateries.
Bar Harbor also serves as a gateway in two directions. If one is heading south, the destination is Acadia National Park, which some feel may be America's most beautiful and breathtaking national property. Having enjoyed the loop drive through Acadia, I can certainly understand such an argument, although America DOES have many gorgeous national parks.
Now, if you are heading north, Bar Harbor is the southern port for "the Cat", a highspeed catamaran ferry that traverses the ocean between Bar Harbor and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. If it fits your itinerary, taking the Cat could well get you deep into the maritimes without the five-hour drive through New Brunswick. However, from our experience - I will tell you that driving through New Brunswick is quite nice.
Like many cities and villages in Maine, Bar Harbor has a picturesque and active town harbor. Surrounded by several small islands, the facilities in Bar Harbor seem capable of handling vessels of at least moderate size and consequence.
A few miles south of Bar Harbor is the breathtaking Acadia National Park. It's clear bays, picturesque beachs, tall stands of fir and rocky mountains pack a vacation load of fantastic photos into a fairly small area, from a square miles standpoint.
I can't imagine being in the Bar Harbor area and not going out to Acadia. The 27 mile loop road gives you a good and up-close look at what some consider America's most beautiful national park.
- Pros:Good food, varied shops and a nice place to just spend the afternoon.
- Cons:OK, it IS a tourist town. If you want a quieter village, try somewhere else.
- In a nutshell:I can't imagine why you wouldn't zip over to Acadia, and then spend an afternoon in Bar Harbor. Be sure to have dinner there, too.
Another peaceful and relaxing place to spend time in Bar Harbor is Agamont Park. It's right out at the edge of the... more travel advice
Here's a website where you can get a nice little walking map of Bar Harbor. It can be downloaded as a .pdf... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Bar Harbor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Up DownEast"
- "Bah Hahbah without the huge crowds"
- "Bar Harbor"
- "Bar Harbor, Maine: Gateway to Acadia National Park"
- "Bar Harbor"
- "Sea Kayaking"
- "BAR HARBOR - GATEWAY TO ACADIA NATIONAL PARK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bar Harbor
- Hotels in Bar Harbor
- Transportation in Bar Harbor
- Nightlife in Bar Harbor
- Restaurants in Bar Harbor
- Shopping in Bar Harbor
- Warnings and Dangers in Bar Harbor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bar Harbor
- 7 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Bar Harbor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bar Harbor
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Commented on one of PALLINA's Bar Harbor travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bar Harbor, up on the far northern coast"
- updated a Bar Harbor Travel Page "Bar Harbor, up on the far northern coast"
- Wrote a Review A good place and time to "spruce up" your car in Bar Harbor Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues