"Gateway to Acadia, northern Maine & the Maritimes" Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor by 850prc
Bangor Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 79 photos
Bangor seems like a pretty nice town. Like my home city of Tallahassee, FL, it is a college town. The University of Maine is located just a mile or two up the road, officially in Orono. And, from what I saw in my limited time in Bangor, there is a fair amount of history and architecture worth looking over.
But... for us, Bangor was our gateway, our way in and out of the Canadian Maritime provinces. The small and efficient airport at Bangor is the best place to find regular service from the rest of the US to northern Maine. We flew in via Delta Airlines, and I noted that several other majors served Bangor, albeit with very small planes.
In addition to the Canadian Maritime provinces, it's a short little ride from Bangor over to Bar Harbor and the Acadia National Park area, which some consider America's most beautiful national park.
So, I first apologize to Bangor for not REALLY getting to know her. The city served us in a welcoming and comfortable way on our recent visit, and I'd heartily recommend utilizing Bangor's transit facilities in your travelings northward.
- Pros:Friendly town, decent food, excellent and uncrowded airport... a very good place to start a northeastern adventure
- Cons:Local traffic patterns can be a bit confusing, and they sure do seem to have a lot of road construction. Is it a pro or con to learn that Bangor has 16 Dunkin' Donut shops?
- In a nutshell:If you want to start out somewhere beyond Boston, it's either Manchester NH or Bangor. I've done both and I thought Bangor was a better choice.
The small and efficient Bangor airport (BGR) is an excellent choice as an air gateway to northern Maine and the Canadian... more travel advice
We flew into and out of Bangor on our trip to northern Maine and the Canadian maritimes. I usually don't "do" airport... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Bangor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangor Maine"
- "Gateway to Acadia, northern Maine & the Maritimes"
- "Home of the giant Paul Bunyan"
- "Bangor - centrally located!"
- "Bangor, ME"
- "Recent experience"
- "Bangor, Maine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangor
- Hotels in Bangor
- Transportation in Bangor
- Restaurants in Bangor
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangor
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Bangor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangor
Photos in BangorSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Bangor hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Bangor Odlin Road
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Fairfield Inn Bangor
- 235 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Comfort Inn Bangor
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- The Charles Inn
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Travelodge Bangor
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hampton Inn Bangor Bar Harbor
- 215 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Four Points By Sheraton Bangor Airport
- 229 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Howard Johnson Inn - Bangor
- 201 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013