"Gateway to Acadia, northern Maine & the Maritimes" Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor by 850prc

Bangor Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 79 photos

I'm sure there's more than we saw or needed...

Bangor seems like a pretty nice town. Like my home city of Tallahassee, FL, it is a college town. The University of Maine is located just a mile or two up the road, officially in Orono. And, from what I saw in my limited time in Bangor, there is a fair amount of history and architecture worth looking over.

But... for us, Bangor was our gateway, our way in and out of the Canadian Maritime provinces. The small and efficient airport at Bangor is the best place to find regular service from the rest of the US to northern Maine. We flew in via Delta Airlines, and I noted that several other majors served Bangor, albeit with very small planes.

In addition to the Canadian Maritime provinces, it's a short little ride from Bangor over to Bar Harbor and the Acadia National Park area, which some consider America's most beautiful national park.

So, I first apologize to Bangor for not REALLY getting to know her. The city served us in a welcoming and comfortable way on our recent visit, and I'd heartily recommend utilizing Bangor's transit facilities in your travelings northward.

• Pros:Friendly town, decent food, excellent and uncrowded airport... a very good place to start a northeastern adventure
  • Cons:Local traffic patterns can be a bit confusing, and they sure do seem to have a lot of road construction. Is it a pro or con to learn that Bangor has 16 Dunkin' Donut shops?
  • In a nutshell:If you want to start out somewhere beyond Boston, it's either Manchester NH or Bangor. I've done both and I thought Bangor was a better choice.
  • Last visit to Bangor: Sep 2009
  • Intro Written Sep 28, 2009

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 5:13 AM

Superb restaurants, hotels & accommodations travel tips on Bangor. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Bangor