"Whigham, Georgia Home of the RATTLESNAKE roundup!" Whigham by 850prc
Whigham Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 35 photos
Every year, the last Saturday in January brings the annual "Rattlesnake Roundup" to the small south Georgia town of Whigham. As we often do, my daughter Sara and I, this time accompanied by my wife Bonnie and Sara's friend Erin, attended this year's roundup, which was held on Saturday, January 31.
The Roundup is, not surprisingly, first and foremost about the rattlesnake itself. But this little festival is another opportunity for a small and virtually unknown town in south Georgia to achieve an economic and informational boost. The annual Rattlesnake Roundup is a huge part of the Whigham, Georgia civic scene, and nearly everyone in town has some degree of interest and participation. It's as much a family outing as it is an event.
Hopefully, you may someday have the opportunity to spend a little time with the fine citizens of Whigham...both the human and reptilian ones. : )
Just like the Tournament of Roses in Pasadena, California, the town of Whigham Georgia identifies itself with its quirky Rattlesnake Roundup. In late January, all roads in the north Florida and south Georgia area point to Whigham and its hundreds of venomous VIPs.
If the weather is decent, the Rattlesnake Roundup crowds can be huge. Considering that Whigham is barely a town, it's shocking the numbers of folks who will come from all parts to enjoy the fun.
The Rattlesnake Roundup is a huge boost to the Whigham economy. Besides all the visitors, there are hundreds of vendors who arrive to sell their wares. All of these folks spend the night in and around Whigham, they eat in restaurants, they buy gasoline, etc. In other words, these rattlesnakes are shaking up more than their rattles in Whigham on the last Saturday of each January. : )
- Pros:A nice and friendly little south Georgia town
- Cons:Other than the annual rattlesnake roundup, not much else happening around Whigham...
- In a nutshell:At least once in your life, you need to spend the last Saturday in January in Whigham, Georgia!
First a note.....I realize that this tip is essentially a duplicate of one of my general tips. But, I really wanted to... more travel advice
There are probably close to one hundred little vendor shops set up at the Roundup. There are all sorts of items for... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Whigham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Whigham, Georgia Home of the RATTLESNAKE roundup!"
- "Basaic Whigham Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Whigham
- Nightlife in Whigham
- Restaurants in Whigham
- Shopping in Whigham
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cambria Hotels
- Mont-Tremblant Hotels
- Ponta Delgada
- Steptoe Butte State Park
- Butuan City
- Island Beach State Park Hotels
- Kampong Pantai Batu Hitam Hotels
- Santorini Island
- Boralesgamuwa Hotels
- Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Bukit Fraser
Badges & Stats in Whigham
- 29 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 49 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Whigham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whigham
Photos in WhighamSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues