"Wakulla Springs, "strange and mysterious waters"" Wakulla Springs by 850prc
Wakulla Springs Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 47 photos
Wakulla Springs, located about 30 miles from Florida's capital city (Tallahassee) is a unique historical and ecological wonder in north Florida. Humans have used and occupied the area for nearly 15,000 years. The name Wakulla comes from an Indian word meaning "strange and mysterious waters". Legend has it that Ponce de Leon explored the area on his trip through Florida in 1513.
Wakulla Springs was "developed" in the early 20th century by Mr. Edward Ball, who purchased the approximately 5,000 acre property in 1934. The springs, which feed Wakulla Springs and the resulting Wakulla River have been measured as producing 15,000 gallons of crystal clear and cool spring water every second from a huge underwater cave system. As of 2000, 18,000 feet of this underwater cave system had been explored and mapped by divers. It is the considered scientific opinion that less than 2% of its secrets have, at this time, been seen and recorded.
The Wakulla Springs/river area is home to a remarkable variety of animals and plants. After Mr. Ball's death in 1981, the area was deeded to the state of Florida and opened as a state park in 1986. The park is open 365 days a year, from 8 am until sundown. A small admissions fee (US$3.50 per automobile, up to a maximum of 8 people riding)
As mentioned above, Wakulla Springs is home to a huge variety of animal and plant life. Among the biggest crowd pleasers would be the American alligator, abundant within the confines of the park and the Wakulla Springs/Wakulla River aquatic system.
In this photo, a park ranger holds one of the "junior members" of the Wakulla alligator patrol.
Most people visit Wakulla Springs for, at most, the day. However, there is a gracious historical lodge located on the property. Built by the original developer, Mr. Edward Ball, in 1937, the lodge today retains much of the character of early 20th century Florida.
For more info on the Wakulla Springs Lodge, PLEASE see my accomodations tips for Wakulla Springs.
- Pros:History, serenity, nature and relaxation
- Cons:A little out of the way, but I'd never consider that a true "con"
- In a nutshell:A unique opportunity to enjoy a vanishing part of Florida
Wakulla Springs exists in its pristine state today quite possibly due to the stewardship and care of Mr. Ed Ball. Before... more travel advice
Here's a look at the largest of the Wakulla Springs Lodge's rooms.... it's a family double. Two double beds and room for... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Wakulla Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wakulla Springs, "strange and mysterious waters""
- "Wakulla Springs State Park"
- "wakulla springs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wakulla Springs
- Hotels in Wakulla Springs
- Restaurants in Wakulla Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wakulla Springs
- 16 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 59 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Wakulla Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wakulla Springs
Photos in Wakulla SpringsSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (164)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Wakulla Springs hotel reviews
- Wakulla Springs Lodge
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013