Tallahassee Nightlife Tips by 850prc Top 5 Page for this destination
Tallahassee Nightlife: 9 reviews and 7 photos
Off they go... Capital Punishment vs Molly Rogers
OK, I had a tough time. I couldn't decide which category to write up Capital Punishment and the Jailbreak Betties, Tallahassee's two roller derby teams. Sure, it's a sport, but...in the end I chose nightlife tip because it's more of an event than a game.
Roller Derby has been resident in Tallahassee since 2006, and we presently have two teams. The "A" team is Capital Punishment, and I'm told that they're pretty well-thought of on a state and national basis. They DO beat the crap out of a lot of teams, so I guess that's true.
The "B" team is called the Jailbreak Betties, and they play a "B" level schedule, and serve as a training ground for skaters bound for Capital Punishment.
We all know what the words roller derby conjure into our minds... "Wrestling on Skates" comes to mind. And yes, it does have aspects of a three ring circus, except that there's only one circus. It is and has become very popular in Tallahassee. On my recent (and first ever) visit to watch Capital Punishment, tickets were sold out about 90 minutes ahead of the match.
Generally, going to the roller derby has it all...
<> people watching
<> lots of action and violent collisions
<> catered by one of our best local bars - good food, beer and a full bar
<> a pleasant and fun-loving crowd
I was a bit surprised to see the crowd demographics. First of all, many many people have convinced me that roller derby fans are "guys", or the sport is a "guy thing". Not so... during our recent visit, the crowd was easily 50/50 male/female. And, I expected a wrestling crowd. Again, my inclinations were wrong, there were many many young professionals in attendance. I sat next to a lady who works as a biologist for the state of Florida. And yes, she said she skated previously for a team in Tampa.
All of the skaters and officials are volunteers...nobody makes any money. All monies raised with ticket sales and such go towards travel expense for road games. In fact, most of the players are paying TO play. It's sport for the pure enjoyment of playing the sport.
Yes, it's outrageous and over the top. But if you've ever smiled while watching a Cyndi Lauper video, or that sort of weirdness, you'll find roller derby to be interesting on some level. They usually have a "theme" for each game, and the night that we went was "Rocky Horror Derby Night". There is a live band at one end of the room, playing some pretty God-awful and yet somehow catchy metallic rock and roll. I guess all the beer improved my opinion of the band.
And... the players have all come up with generally outrageous names and stage personnae. Among my favorites were the Pixie Pounder (and her giant cartoon hammer), Fem Venomous, and Moxie Knockout. Oh yes, there's also Kelly Ruggles, the president of the Capital Punishment team, and the support group coordinating both Tallahassee teams, the Tally Rollergirls.... Kelly is one of the nicest people around, and we exchanged several emails ahead of my visit to watch Capital Punishment. It's clear that all of the CP ladies are well schooled in a positive public face, welcome and marketing. Oh yes, Kelly also has a stage name, she calls herself the "Fat Ass Bittch". (deliberately mis-spelled to get past VT autocensor)
Not to be outdone, the officials (referees) also have crazy made-up stage names. My favorite was "Coitis Interruptus, Emperor of Rome". Ahhhh nobility.
The schedule, being minor league-club levels sports, is a bit haphazard. See the website below for updated and accurate information. Ticket prices are $11 each ahead of the match, and $13 at the gate. If you show up "at the gate" and aren't about 90 minutes early, "you snooze, you lose", they'll be sold out.
Oh I almost forgot.... the score. Capital Punishment showed their moxie and muscle, running roughshod over the visiting "Molly Rogers" from Brevard County. (Daytona Beach) The score was something like 120-15.
NOTE, PLEASE SEE MY SEPARATE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT/ROLLER DERBY TRAVELOGUE ON MY TALLAHASSEE PAGE. More pictures and a little homage to Jim Croce as well. :)
Dress Code: Dress code? Dress code? You HAVE to be kidding.
Generally, the crowd is dressed casually... this is not a strip joint or anything. But, depending on the night's theme, some of the participants may have some crazy outfits on display. You can imagine what ROCKY HORROR DERBY NIGHT brought to the table.
Address: North Florida Fairgrounds, Paul Russell Road
Directions: From the state capitol, head south on Monroe. Go about three miles, and just after you pass Paul Russell Road, you can turn in to the left, off Monroe.
Other Contact: facebook.com/Tallyrg?ref=search
Tallahassee's Musical Moon....truly another world
Being a college town and a capital city, Tallahassee attracts its share of big-name acts. Our Civic Center has played host to such luminaries as Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, Garth Brooks and John Mellencamp, among many others.
Smaller auditoriums in town sometimes host big-name acts, which is always a treat. Ruby Diamond Auditorium at Florida State University has hosted (recently) Bruce Hornsby, Jethro Tull, Lyle Lovett and Alison Kraus & Union Station. I love going to a concert at Ruby, as the accoustics are perfect, and it only seats 1500 people.
BUT, for reasonably priced concerts, you can't beat the Musical Moon. Built out of the shell of an old grocery store, the Moon has evolved into a funky and quirky little stop on the "B" list concert tour. Sometimes, you can find some really interesting acts gracing the stage over at the Moon. Generally, it'll be acts that are still good, but USED to be really really popular. For example, recent acts have included the latest reincarnation of the Allman Brothers Band, Billy Squier, etc.
In addition to being a concert hall, the Moon is a full bar, so you can not only enjoy the music, you can have a few cocktails.
So, the next time you're in Tallahassee and you'd like to see something interesting for under, say $30, check out who's playing at the Moon.
Dress Code: Oh dear. Dress code?
It kind of depends on what act is playing. Let's put it this way.... when those Chippendale male strippers hit town, they usually play the Moon.
I don't think dress codes are an issue at the Moon. If you can avoid violating any public indecency laws, you should be good to go.
Address: 1105 East Lafayette Street, Tallahassee
Directions: From the intersection of US27 S (Apalachee Pkwy) and Magnolia, go south ON Magnolia for 1 block. Turn right on Lafayette. The Moon will be on the left, about 1/4 mile up the road.
Phone: 850.222.MOON (24 hr hot line)
More Reviews (95)
- See All Tallahassee's Saturday Morning Farmers...
- See All Black Magic and hot dogs on Macomb...
- See All FSU Baseball, America's pastime,...
- Get on the BUS, Gus.
- See All A little too liberal.... but not about...
- See All Sinners or Saints? Depends on the time...
- See All All sizes in this Bible Belt town
- See All Florida State University College of...
- See All Student art exhibitions at Florida State
- If you want to stay in downtown...
850prc's Related Pages
Tallahassee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where SPRINGTIME begins...Tallahassee"
- "tallahassee florida"
- "Center of Growth for the region"
- "Tallahassee Magic"
- "This is my home."
- "Tallahassee, Florida"
- "Florida's capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallahassee
- Hotels in Tallahassee
- Transportation in Tallahassee
- Nightlife in Tallahassee
- Restaurants in Tallahassee
- Shopping in Tallahassee
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallahassee
- See All...
Explore the World
- Black Mountain Hotels
- Kelebang Besar Hotels
- Moneygall Hotels
- Western Sahara
- Fairfield Hotels
- Land Nordrhein-Westfalen
Badges & Stats in Tallahassee
- 97 Reviews
- 213 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 113 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Tallahassee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallahassee
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Tallahassee travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tallahassee's Saturday Morning Farmers Market in Tallahassee Shopping
- updated a Tallahassee Travelogue "Tallahassee's Roller Derby Queen(s)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Roller Derby in Tallahassee"
- Uploaded a Video to Tallahassee
Photos in TallahasseeSee All Photos (213)
Videos in TallahasseeSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (164)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Tallahassee hotel reviews
- Cabot Lodge Tallahassee North Monroe
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 8, 2013
- Fairfield Inn By Marriott Tallahassee, Florida
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013
- Executive Suite Motor Inn Tallahassee
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Park Plaza Hotel Tallahassee
- 274 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee
- 479 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Residence Inn By Marriott Tallahassee Universities At The Capitol
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- University Inn & Suites Tallahassee
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Governor's Inn
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Days Inn Tallahassee Northwest
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Calhoun Street Inn Bed and Breakfast
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Courtyard By Marriott Tallahassee North
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Howard Johnson Express Inn - Tallahassee
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Collegiate Village Inn
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 2, 2012
- Americas Best Value Inn Tallahassee
- 1 Review & Opinion