"Orlando, the "Tragic Kingdom"" Orlando by 850prc

Orlando Travel Guide: 3,109 reviews and 5,931 photos

SeaWorld....the best of the lot

As you might have guessed from my "Tragic Kingdom" comment, I'm not crazy about Orlando. It's not that Orlando is a bad town. It's just that all that vacation magic stuff that they've built is so incredibly phony.

But, if theme parks and kingdoms are your bag, it's my job as a Floridian to give you the low-down.

For my money, the most interesting park in Orlando is SeaWorld. There is a lot to be learned, and there's numerous opportunities to get up close and personal with the marine residents of SeaWorld.

Porpoise petting at SeaWorld

Like I say, one of the best things about SeaWorld is the opportunity to get up close and enjoy many marine creatures. I enjoyed petting the porpoises.....and the porpoises seemed to enjoy it, too. These are truly remarkable creatures.

The World's #1 MIckey-Mouse operation

Yep, that'd be Disney World, aka the "Tragic Kingdom" to us jaded Floridians. The people who call it the happiest people on earth are probably Disney accountants. :)

But, no use poisoning things for you if you've decided to visit Walt Disney World in Orlando. My advice is to pick a weekday, and to show up early. Stay all day and get your money's worth. Do it all and then decide if you ever want to do it again. : )

For more of my caustic Disney World humor, with some useful advice sprinkled in, see my Disney World Travelogue.

• Pros:There are some decent places to eat and their airport is great
  • Cons:Too many people. Too many phony fun parks.
  • In a nutshell:Everybody ends up visiting Orlando. Don't feel guilty if you don't love it. : )
  • Last visit to Orlando: Jun 1997
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2003

• JEANYLASER's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2010 at 12:02 PM

your pictures of Mickey Mouse looks awesome!

• Jul 16, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Sorry... :) I DO love Disneyland!!!

• Wendy67's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2007 at 7:01 AM

We get chided all the time about never taking our daughter to Disney. I'll start directing friends and family to your page instead of constantly trying to defend ourselves :)

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2006 at 10:25 AM

Hey! I live here!!! But, Disney is not my favorite park either...there is just something freaky about that large mouse Check out my Orlando page

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2005 at 2:00 PM

Orlando looks like a great place for kids. Would it also be a good spot for a romantic trip with a spouse?

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2004 at 10:16 PM

Had a great visit to the land of Hatters and Tars. Aqua, flora, lutefisk and thrills over 3 counties - who could ask for more?! K.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2004 at 10:38 AM

Finally, someone else besides myself who is critical of this place...

• Julie&'s Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2004 at 8:45 PM

Hey Pete, Great pages, i will be in orlando july 3 to 10th....maybe we can plan a vt get together. Email me...Julie :-)

• canadiantravelgirl's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2004 at 5:06 AM

I think I have been to Disney about 9 times now...yep..nine hot, sweaty days waiting in lines!! But when I go now, I can be a kid for a day (but maybe I am one every day haha). Great Humor as always Pete!!!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2003 at 12:07 PM

Every time I think I've had enough of the overpricing at Disney, I find myself wanting to go back anyway for a little slice of Utopia. Have been to WDW in Feb., May, Oct. and Nov. October is the best of all and will be doing it again this year!

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Orlando

Have you been to Orlando?